Where do buy pure ammonia?

ahcash

Reaction score
Might sound like stupid question..

Where do people usually buy pure ammonia from? Drug store? Hardware store?

I am located in Vancouver if it helps?

Thanks!

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Ahcash...
Its not a stupid question.. its one that is asked alot! It seems that the pure ammonia is very hard to find in local stores. I have not been able to find it myself and have just used fish food to 'feed' the tank.
~ kate

OP
A

ahcash

Reaction score
went to 3 local drug stores and none carries. Looks like I might have to use the old fashion way.. feed the tank.

pamd

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After searching locally, I found what I *think* is pure ammonium hydroxide. This probably will be no help in Canada, but it's at Ace Hardware in the U.S. One thing I found, probably here on FishLore, is that you should shake the bottle, and if it does not produce suds, it's probably pure ammonia. You certainly don't want soap or lemon-smelling additives in your aquarium!

docfreed

Reaction score
Too Much About Nothing

Typically the surfactant level in cleaning products like ammonia is about 0.1% to 0.5%. Since we are only going to use five drops/gallon to start the nitrogen cycle (fishless) the amount of surfactant introduced is vanishingly small - don't worry about it! If you wish, you can calculate for your self since twenty average size drops equal one milliliter (1/1000 of a liter).

Docfreed
Ph. D, Chemistry
and new to this very exciting and informative forum

eepruls

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I live in Winnipeg, Canada and Safeway has their own brand of ammonia selling for $2.85. I picked some up today actually. It's with the cleaning supplies (like Mr. Clean, Lysol) and not with the Javex/bleach. I was in Wal-Mart and they didn't have it.

griffin

Well Known
Reaction score
docfreed said:
Typically the surfactant level in cleaning products like ammonia is about 0.1% to 0.5%. Since we are only going to use five drops/gallon to start the nitrogen cycle (fishless) the amount of surfactant introduced is vanishingly small - don't worry about it! If you wish, you can calculate for your self since twenty average size drops equal one milliliter (1/1000 of a liter).

Docfreed
Ph. D, Chemistry

that amount is very very small. however, I guess I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that with my tanks. if needed, ammonium hydroxide (basically ammonia and water) can be purchased online.

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
docfreed said:

Docfreed
Ph. D, Chemistry

:;bananahI WELCOME TO FISHLORE! Docfreed. :;bananahi

Isn't that what the lawyers for the EXON VALDEZ said!

I would stick with 100% pure, or fish food.....

New Threads