Where Did The Snails Come From?

A. Rozhin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Why are assassin snail owners so aggressive in touting them as the only solution, and bragging about how much and how quickly they kill? A lot of people have tried assassins and found they did not address pond snails at all. They really like Ramshorns and MTS. And they are large. The OP has a bioload issue in so small a tank. And, from personal experience, they WILL reproduce. All of a sudden a dozen will come up from the gravel that you didn't even know were there.

Taking them out, by hand. Or break your tank down and start over. Or realize that nothing in life, or nature, is perfect and rethink why you keep fish to begi with.

Frozen One

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Why are assassin snail owners so aggressive in touting them as the only solution, and bragging about how much and how quickly they kill? A lot of people have tried assassins and found they did not address pond snails at all. They really like Ramshorns and MTS. And they are large. The OP has a bioload issue in so small a tank. And, from personal experience, they WILL reproduce. All of a sudden a dozen will come up from the gravel that you didn't even know were there.

Taking them out, by hand. Or break your tank down and start over. Or realize that nothing in life, or nature, is perfect and rethink why you keep fish to begi with.
I don't recall saying they are the only solution but either way, as I already stated, not everyone learns to love those snails. I could understand people loving them but I personally don't and neither does the OP so I figured I would reply with what worked for me.

A. Rozhin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't recall saying they are the only solution but either way, as I already stated, not everyone learns to love those snails. I could understand people loving them but I personally don't and neither does the OP so I figured I would reply with what worked for me.
The fact is, though, that if you have live plants, and you get some snails in there, sometimes they actually CAN'T be eradicated, without harming something else in the process. That's a fact, maybe an unwelcome one, but a fact.

You can manually remove them and make them all but gone. I actually got rid of all of mine. A new plant might bring a few more in, and with patience, I can get rid of those. The OP has a 5 gallon tank, there's not that much real estate to patrol, you know?

You can dump chemicals in, and I think that's about like declawing a cat. Legal, but invasive, and not a humane idea. But that's a personal call.

You can put assassin snails in, and maybe they will get all of them, and maybe they won't. Maybe they prefer to be lazy and eat dropped fishfood. Or maybe they'll breed.

But the bottom line is, if there was a sure-fire way, there would have been one answer to this post. Sometimes you can't get rid of all them forever, period. Just like algae. It shows up, you address it, it may be back.

There is no sure answer. I get that you don't want them. People at cook-outs don't want mosquitos, but they either have to burn a candle to help keep them away, or poison everyone at the cookout with a spray that won't entirely work. Maybe there are other options. But "The OP didn't want mosquitos at all! What will work for her?" is sort of a foolish stance, you know?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom