Where did the dollars go

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brokenwing, Mar 27, 2010.

1. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

Anyone have a 15 gallon tank, and look at the money you have put into it, and wonder what you are thinking. I have a nice 15 gallon setup, but wow I have over 100 dollars wrapped up in it. I love the fish keeping hobby and Im addicted, but the dollars seem to go quick lol.

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

:eek:That sounds like crazy talk!

I stay sane because I don't think about the amount of money I spend on my tanks.

The key to sane MTS is not doing $$$ Math:;banaman Actually, $100 on a 15 gallon tank isn't too bad. I've done much worse.

Okay, all jokes aside, there are less expensive ways of doing things.

Kenfish.com is a great source of heaters, filters, fish food, etc and even with shipping, it's less expensive than most LFS.

Craigslist is a great source for less expensive new tanks.

River rock is an inexpensive subtrate you can find at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

Terracotta pots are very inexpensive and will usually amuse most cichlids.

Backgrounds can be made with wrapping paper instead of buying the backgrounds and wrapping paper is much less expensive.

And my favorite four letter word in regards to fish supplies...SALE.

And fellow hobbyists are an excellent source of new fish and they're healthier than most LFS stock.:;hug2

3. OP
    OP
    b

brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

Wow bolivian great info. Ya im going to stop thinking about the dollars. I will have to check out kens website never heard of him. I have a empty 75 gallon it scares me to think about starting that one. Just curious Bolivian do you purchase any fish online, and if so and you dont mind me asking where at.

4. bolivianbaby

I've ordered fish on Aquabid. It was a wonderful gentleman selling honduran red points. Other than that, a lot of my fish have come from friends, some have been shipped, others I picked up.

I believe several of our members have ordered fish online from online fish stores. Hopefully, they can share their experiences with you.

What fish are you looking for? Aquabid.com is an excellent source for many, many species. The great thing about it is most are hobbyists like us, so their fish are healthy. You can combine bids from the same source to save on shipping a lot of times as well.

5. OP
    OP
    b

brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

Im hoping to soon get a 75 gallon african cichlid tank going. I have spent months on research, but I have to figure out where i want to get the fish. This empty 75 gallon tank sitting next to the computer has been taunting me for way to long. I cant stand it anymore. Im also dividing a ten gallon tank to house two bettas.

6. bolivianbaby

I'd advise Aquabid and posting in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the forum. We have several members who breed bettas and a few members who breed african cichlids.

That would bring you the highest possibility of highest quality stock at reasonable prices including shipping. Those are two sources I feel comfortable suggesting because I've had great success with both.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice