Where did my nitrates go?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by lp89, Nov 26, 2012.

1. lp89

lp89Valued MemberMember

Water parameters November 24:
    ammonia: 0
    nitrite: 0
    nitrate: 5
    PH: 7.4

Water parameters November 26:
    ammonia: 0
    nitrite: 0
    nitrate: 0
    pH: 7.4

Activity in between readings:
    -added 2 new peppered cories after reading on 24th
    -added a tiny amount of fertilizer (Nutrafin Plant Gro)
    -I have NOT preformed any water changes on this tank to date

Does anyone know why my nitrates went DOWN? I was expecting them to increase after the 2 new cories entered the tank...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum

Could be a combination of the plants and the margin of error for testing.

Or those are some terrific fertilizers - got your plants soaking them up ;)

3. OP
    OP
    lp89

lp89Valued MemberMember

Is it bad to have NO nitrates though?

4. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

I agree with what Jaysee said. I haven't seen nitrates in my established 29 gallon for 4-6 weeks (the exact time eludes me), but it is not always a bad thing. Depending on the amount of plants you have, they may be able to handle the current stock of fish for filtration, but the bacteria still get their food too. Plants like nitrates, along with ammonia and nitrites which makes them great :). I would have it retested when you can get to the store over the next few days just to be sure nothing bad comes up.

5. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I have heard that cyano can set in, but I have no experience with any of that.

6. OP
    OP
    lp89

lp89Valued MemberMember

Ok great, the tank is VERY lightly stocked right now (29gallons - 4cories, 1platy).
    I have 2 amazon swords and 1 anubias.

I'm sure I'll see nitrates when I add more fish. I'm trying to go very slow and do everything right, just trying to REALLY understand what's going on in my tank. I like trying to predict. :p

7. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

A friend had the same issue. It turned out his test kit was faulty. You might want to get the water tested at the fish store just to make sure. :)

8. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

^ +1, seeing that you have a pretty minimal amount of plants I would lean more towards a faulty test also. Although it may be possible that the swords are growing well.

9. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, you don't want zero nitrates. It's not a good thing in a planted tank.

I'd get it retested to make sure. :)

10. carolo43

carolo43Valued MemberMember

My tanks run very low nitrates, even my non-planted tank but I do big water changes, keep the filter clean and substrate clean. I strive to keep it low. I do add ferts a couple times a week and figure the plants get enough then.

11. OP
    OP
    lp89

lp89Valued MemberMember

I don't do the tests myself, I go to my LFS (only 2 mins away). They actually tested it TWICE tonight when it came back 0, but I'll go back in a few days and check again!

I have two more local stores in my area (2 which are fish only).
    I also have 1 PetSmart and 2 Pets Unlimited, but I believe they use the test strips...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice