Where Can You Buy Live Foods? (in Canada)

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by -Sofia-, Apr 15, 2018.

1. -Sofia-

-Sofia- Valued Member Member

Hello fishlorians!
    I have had many threads about foods recently but now I've been thinking about live feeders but I don't know where to get them! I've seen on Amazon "brine shrimp eggs" but I don't know if I can trust it:p I'm also worried about parasites. Should I stick to freeze dried and frozen? Thank you in advance:)

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Brine shrimp are generally fine to hatch, although you'll need to look into a hatchery. Fish tend to become dependent on it as well, so be careful with it. It's not always easy to keep a brine shrimp culture going, and if your fish won't accept any other food, you're in trouble.

As for feeders, I wouldn't support that part of the hobby. Certain fish will only eat live (until they're trained to eat frozen), and that's fine. But if you can feed frozen, I'd opt for that. Depending on what fish you keep, you can go to a grocery store, buy some frozen shrimp, clams, tilapia, beef heart, beef liver, peas, etc. and blend it all together. Refreeze it, pack it into baggies, and then break off a chunk when you feed. Much better than flakes or pellets, IMO.

3. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

You can usually buy them at your lfs live if you want a short term solution but breeding live food is usually hard..

You could try breeding snails and then crushing them before feeding (just an option if you don't want the hassle of a carefully balanced life food breeding environment)

4. OP
    OP
    -Sofia-

-Sofia- Valued Member Member

I guess I'll stick with what I have then, thank you!:)

5. Anne79

Anne79 New Member Member

Ill buy grindal worms and bbs from here  

But what im looking for is a vinegar eels starter culture... anyone have some for sale or know where to find ?

6. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Have you tried ebay?

7. Anne79

Anne79 New Member Member

I dont trust ebay for eels, come from lituania.. or russia... strange..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice