Where can I find otos?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JessiNoel21, Mar 16, 2012.

1. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy otos? I would love to get two or three for my tank thank you for reading

2. Lexi03Well Known MemberMember

What tank is this for? They really do better in a bit larger groups, I would not put them in a tank smaller than 20gals, they can be quite sensitive. My Lfs does not carry them, I bought mine at Petsmart, but had a high intial loss rate, I lost about 30% out of two batchs within the first couple days.

3. amber0107

amber0107Well Known MemberMember

I bought mine at Petsmart. Started with 6 and only one died within the first day. Now I have oto babies. They're great but be sure to acclimate them SLOWLY to your tank water. FYI: I had mine in 10 gallon to start and eventually moved them to a 20. (also, mine eat the algae wafers and zucchini--after they eat the algae off of everything else first)

4. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Both my local PEtsmart and PETCO cary them. Take a lot of time to get them used to the tank and relaxed. I have a few still but I will most likely not be getting more, they don't seem to like the local water here.

5. OP
    OP
    J

JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

I plan on getting them used to my water by them in a bucket with the water they come home in and using the drip hose I got from DrFosterSmith.com that is how I got all my fish used to my tank.

6. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

You can also try the Fish Lore Buy/Sell/Trade/Free section of the forum. Maybe someone has them for sale or you can post a Want to Buy thread since you are now over 50 posts.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/buy-sell-trade-free/

Good luck in your search!

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice