Where can I find otos?

1. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy otos? I would love to get two or three for my tank thank you for reading

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

What tank is this for? They really do better in a bit larger groups, I would not put them in a tank smaller than 20gals, they can be quite sensitive. My Lfs does not carry them, I bought mine at Petsmart, but had a high intial loss rate, I lost about 30% out of two batchs within the first couple days.

3. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I bought mine at Petsmart. Started with 6 and only one died within the first day. Now I have oto babies. They're great but be sure to acclimate them SLOWLY to your tank water. FYI: I had mine in 10 gallon to start and eventually moved them to a 20. (also, mine eat the algae wafers and zucchini--after they eat the algae off of everything else first)

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Both my local PEtsmart and PETCO cary them. Take a lot of time to get them used to the tank and relaxed. I have a few still but I will most likely not be getting more, they don't seem to like the local water here.

5. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I plan on getting them used to my water by them in a bucket with the water they come home in and using the drip hose I got from DrFosterSmith.com that is how I got all my fish used to my tank.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

You can also try the Fish Lore Buy/Sell/Trade/Free section of the forum. Maybe someone has them for sale or you can post a Want to Buy thread since you are now over 50 posts.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/buy-sell-trade-free/

Good luck in your search!

Ken