Where can I find a fairly large sized castle?

mlinden84
Does anyone know where I can find a fairly large sized castle? (i've got a 20 gallon high). I'm moving the tank into my daughters room (she has a princess theme) and I thought a castle would look cute, but can't seem to find one that is big enough (most are only like 4-6 inches tall that I can find)

neverendingninja
The petsmart here has them in stock, and they're very well done. High detail, for sure. I'll see if I can find anything else, and if I do, I'll link it here.

Tom
The petsmart here has them in stock, and they're very well done. High detail, for sure. I'll see if I can find anything else, and if I do, I'll link it here.
Those are the most beautiful castle that I have seen here. I also have seen a huge ship that is so big it needs to be in 3 parts.
Tom

mlinden84
I'll have to go check out petsmart sometime this week. Its about 45 minutes away, so I don't go there often.
It is beautiful! May be a little out of my price range but I'll check it out anyway!
Thank you for the help!

neverendingninja
Yeah, I thought it was really cool when I was setting up my 55 gal, but didn't want to spend almost as much on one decoration as I did on the tank itself!

I also saw the big ships they had at PetSmart, they were very well done, and quite large. If I wasn't about to make the transition to planted aquaria, I'd spring for one.

tkfury
Everytime I go into Petsmart I stop and look at that castle - I'm tempted to go ahead and get it to help me save for my second tank sooner I think it would be perfect for your daughter's princess theme (I know at Petco they had some nice dragon decorations as well heh). I've seen some castles on ebay but I don't recall any sizes, probably the smaller ones you're talking about :-\

mlinden84
Yeah I've checked ebay (I'm an ebay junkie) but they are either too small, or too much money. I kinda want to do a cheaper decorating theme. We'll see about the one at petsmart... knowing me I'll go, fall in love with it and buy it.

tkfury
Oh! I'm not sure how much money is involved but in an aquascape book I picked up at the library (Aquarium Style by Matthew Christian) they have a design called the CaprI Cave where you actually kinda carve the caves from polystyrene? It doesn't go into much detail but they give you the basics - if you can't find anything maybe you can just make a project of designing your own?

The one time I forget to do a spell check ^^;

mlinden84
Oh! I'm not sure how much money is involved but in an aquascape book I picked up at the library (Aquarium Style by Matthew Christian) they have a design called the CaprI Cave where you actually kinda carve the caves from polystyrene? It doesn't go into much detail but they give you the basics - if you can't find anything maybe you can just make a project of designing your own?

The one time I forget to do a spell check ^^;

Great idea, but I'm not sure I've got the time or energy to put into it. The tank is decorated with fake plants and a nice piece of driftwood, if I can't find the castle I'm looking for I'll just leave it decorated the way it is. Between school, homework, my job, and my daughter, I don't have a ton of time to spend making stuff for the tanks. LoL if you have the time you are more than welcome to make it for me

tkfury
Heh, if I thought for a moment I was capable of taking on such a task trust me, I'd be working on it (I'm a bit of a perfectionist so nothing I do is ever good enough heh). On second thought, it might make a nice little project for my younger cousins Ah well, I'm sure sooner or later you'll find exactly what you're looking for at just the right price

mlinden84
haha I don't have the artistic ability to make it look the way I would want it to look.
I'm not planning on moving the tank until this weekend at the earliest, so I've still got a few days to find what I want.

COBettaCouple
mlinden - I love that castle, we've seen it, but we need to find a smaller one that's betta-safe.. where have you seen small ones?

mlinden84
mlinden - I love that castle, we've seen it, but we need to find a smaller one that's betta-safe.. where have you seen small ones?

Ebay. I go to the pets section, then the fish section, and search "castles". I actually just got 1 for one of my bettas. There is some pretty cool stuff on there, I get a lot of my fish stuff from ebay.

Bonochick
Yeah, I thought it was really cool when I was setting up my 55 gal, but didn't want to spend almost as much on one decoration as I did on the tank itself!

When I got my tank, my boyfriend insisted on one of the large ships as a decoration. The ship cost $40. I would have NEVER spent that much on a decoration...but he had his heart set on it, so I caved. I'm so glad I did. The fish love it, and it looks so cool. Sometimes, a little splurge like that is worth it.

mlinden84
I found the same castle the is at petsmart for $80 on ebay (free shipping). No I just need to make sure it will fit in the tank before I get it! I think it will take up most of it, the tank is 24 inches long and the castle is 23

COBettaCouple
cool, I'll have to keep an eye out for castles like the one in kairi's tank with the holes just right for bettas.

mlinden84
cool, I'll have to keep an eye out for castles like the one in kairi's tank with the holes just right for bettas.

Yeah it's hard to find ones for bettas (or maybe I'm just really picky). I don't like to have ANYTHING sharp or that could potentially rip fins (they have enough problems with their fins as it is). I found a very nice looking one that is very smooth, perfect for Scuba the betta!

COBettaCouple

Yeah it's hard to find ones for bettas (or maybe I'm just really picky). I don't like to have ANYTHING sharp or that could potentially rip fins (they have enough problems with their fins as it is). I found a very nice looking one that is very smooth, perfect for Scuba the betta!

Yea, it's good to be VERY picky for Bettas with how hard it is to get rid of fin rot. The castle we got for KairI came with a 5 gallon hex that we got for $5 at a yard sale so who knows where it was originally bought.

mlinden84
Don't you just love the good finds you get at yard sales? And craigslist? I think it's the only way I've been able to afford my MTS!

COBettaCouple
yea, I'll say! ;D

mlinden84
well it seems my 20 gallon doesn't want to hold water anymore. I noticed last night it was slowly starting to leak from the top. So i'm off today to attempt to find a new tank. So I'll have to put the castle search on hold until I know the tank size I am getting.

Dave - you have a 30 gallon high right? Is it really big? (ive got a 20 high right now) I can't get much bigger but I have a chance to get the 30 high for $25.

COBettaCouple
that stinks!

yea, we have a 30 gallon high. it's footprint isn't much more than our 10 gallon tanks.. it probably would fit in the space of a 20 gallon high. I think.

I wanna buy that tank!

well it seems my 20 gallon doesn't want to hold water anymore. I noticed last night it was slowly starting to leak from the top. So i'm off today to attempt to find a new tank. So I'll have to put the castle search on hold until I know the tank size I am getting.

Dave - you have a 30 gallon high right? Is it really big? (ive got a 20 high right now) I can't get much bigger but I have a chance to get the 30 high for $25.

tkfury
I'm not exactly sure how accurate it is but just doing a goggle search for fish tank dimensions, there are a few sites that give the LxWxH for I guess the standard tanks. For a 20 gallon high it says 24.25 x 12.5 x 16.75 and for 30 gallon (extra)high 24.25 x 12.5 x 24.75. Not sure if that's helpful or anything.

mlinden84
I'm not exactly sure how accurate it is but just doing a goggle search for fish tank dimensions, there are a few sites that give the LxWxH for I guess the standard tanks. For a 20 gallon high it says 24.25 x 12.5 x 16.75 and for 30 gallon (extra)high 24.25 x 12.5 x 24.75. Not sure if that's helpful or anything.

I have the dimensions... just didn't know if it SEEMED that much bigger. I've already got a 55 gallon, 3 10 gallons, a 5 gallon, and the 20 gallon in my living room. I really don't want to add something much bigger than the 20 gallon in my daughters room. I may just hold off and see if I can find a 20 (high or long) gallon tank. Thanks for your help though!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chuck Wheat
Replies
Views
wixenparadox
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies
Views