Where Are My Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Reema, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello community, long time not posted but I'm back with questions. Got 12 cherry shrimp today, for my 10 gl heavily planted betta tank. As soon as they were in the water, they dissapeared between the plants and they refuse to come out and roam about. Is that usual for them ? I've seen one or 2 maybe in the past 4 hours.
    Also any advice and tips concerning having shrimp, would be greatly appreciated. Never had any before. Thanks folks.

2. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,273
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Get used to it.

3. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,442
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Its natural for them to disappear when you first put them in, did you drip acclimate them before putting them in,

4. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    I left the bag into the tank for 1/2 hour to acclimate them to the tank temperature.

5. Algonquin

AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +661
    Experience:
    2 years
    They know there's a predator in the tank... so they may be laying low.

6. tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +312
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    No drip acclimate? Not a good thing, also IMO Betta and shrimp not a good mix. If they live, the Betta will more then likely hunt them down.
    Sorry for the bad news. I hope I am wrong. But if you can rehome your Betta it would be best IMO

7. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,269
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah Bettas and shrimp are not a good mix. Gave a friend 20 one day to put in with his female betta. She ate them all!! In a day! Was swimming around with shrimp sticking out her mouth :(.

8. Algonquin

Ratings:
    +661
    Experience:
    2 years
    A lot of bettas will chase down and kill/eat shrimp - it's just natural instinct. If the tank is large enought and there are lots of hiding spots for the shrimp where the betta can't get them, they will manage, and can probably sustain their population. However, they will hide most of the time, and you won't be able to enjoy observing their natural behaviours. That's one of the reasons many people keep shrimp in their own tank. How's it going today?

9. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,442
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I agree with the others and to be honest I dont think you'll even sustain a small colony once the betta as a taste for them

10. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    Day 2 and I've only manage to glimpse two in the morning for a few seconds. My tank is a 10 gl planted so either they are hiding or some became gourmet betta dinner last night. I only bought 12. Anyway if I never see them again, I just burned 40 $.
    20190821_195911.

11. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,269
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Nice looking tank!! Lots of hiding places so they may all be hiding. Good luck

12. Algonquin

Ratings:
    +661
    Experience:
    2 years
    Lovely looking tank - who knows, they might still be hidden in there. I would suggest getting a small tank (3 gallons is nice) just for the shrimp. You'll get to see them all the time, watch them eat and do their shrimpy things. Seeing a berried shrimp is really great. And... you don't need to worry about them becoming dinner :eek:

13. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendzWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +481
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Most of the bettas I've kept gave up on eating shrimp as they got older. 2 males, and a female I was hoping to feed my culls to ended up just hangin out with the shrimp and waiting to be fed. Big fins don't help speed or agility.

I've finally got a consistent female shrimp killer for my cull tank. It's possible the other's didn't eat em cuz there were too many culls, so they just learned to respect the existing inhabitants.

14. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have a big healthy anubia growing on driftwood and as I lifted it gently yesterday, I discovered that a bunch of shrimp were hanging to the driftwood underneath. I'm not sure if all 12 are still around, but at least some are. Every now and then I see one or two coming out to roam but for short time. They spook fast.
    As long as they are alive, I'm good. I guess I'm just gonna have to get used to them minding their own business in hiding. I hope they thrive.
    I was told by the seller that they are too grown for the betta to eat them. I saw my betta approach them but not giving chase. Maybe is just curiosity. He does the same with the mistery snails. Investigates them. Lol

15. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,704
    Experience:
    2 years
    Yep,
    :banghead:
    Back when I started I thought why not some "Cherry" shrimp. Plopped them in and within minutes one of the Black Skirt Tetras caught one and was swimming around with half of it sticking out of its mouth. Little did I know they would become an expensive meal.

You may get a few to survive but the Betta will definitely enjoy the hunt.
    Good Luck!
    Learning all the time.

16. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    Dang. And this guy at the fish store sells them like they are gold. 6 for 20 $. I bought 12. Could have bought myself a lobster dinner for that money. Lol

17. Algonquin

Ratings:
    +661
    Experience:
    2 years
    In my experience, cherry shrimp aren't ever really "too grown" to be killed by a betta... my betta is quite aggressive, and has killed adult shrimp and proudly swam around with them in his mouth, much like jmaldo describes. (And then ate them shortly afterwards). The good news is that shrimp are really good at hiding!

18. Algonquin

Ratings:
    +661
    Experience:
    2 years
    Try to look at it this way... you spent $20 to make your betta very happy;) and, as awful as it is to see him kill a shrimp, its also fascinating to see the natural behaviour of the betta, and his hunting skills. :)

19. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    40$ + tax to be exact. Expensive meal for my betta..lol
    But I'm still hoping he didn't eat any. I'm a stay at home parent and as such I'm in a position to observe my fish all day long. So far haven't seen him with any shrimp hanging from his mouth. In the other hand he has long periods of absence from the front. God knows what's he doing behind those plants where i can't see him.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  20. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,442
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    @Reema I think it's time to speak nicely to loved one and explain how horrible it is sending the expensive shrimp to the betta restaurant and suggest it would be in their favour if they were to have a tank of their own, I pass this one across my wife all the time and she falls for it to a point where I have no more room for tanks,