Where are my nitrites?

1. AnnaEA Member Member

Could I have missed a nitrite spike over two days? When I tested my water today I had ammonia of .5, and nitrAtes of 5ppm -- nitrites of 0.

I last tested my water on Saturday - both tests with the AquaPharmaceuticals test kit. Saturday - 0 nitrities, today 0 nitrites.

I went ahead and dropped the amount of ammonia I am feeding the tank down, and will keep testing it.

But this seems weird to me.

2. vin Well Known Member Member

That is strange...Are you sure you did the nitrate test correctly? If you do shake the step 2 bottle for or the tube after adding step 2 drops for the proper amt of time it will have an effect on the results.

I would think it impossible to miss a nitrite spike....especially over 2 days....They would take some time longer than two days to build up and fade.

Once my cycle kicked in, my ammonia peaked at 4.0 and began to fall and the nitrites peaked at .25 and began to fall as the ammonia hit 0. Meantime, it wasn't until the nitrites kicked in that the nitrates began to appear. They peaked at 5.

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

It could be that the nitrite eating bacteria is still in full force, and your ammonia eating bacteria was killed off somehow. You could possibly be having a mini cycle, and your nitrites have just not kicked in yet. Keep testing daily. ;)

4. AnnaEA Member Member

Well,

The nitrates have held steady at 5 ppm -- still no nitrites, and ammonia has climbed to 1.0, after having steadily been at .5 for some time.

And the water is getting cloudy and the bubbles are clinging much longer around the filter stream. Great rafts of bubbles.

So, something is definitely happening.

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Yep. Sounds like it. If the ammonia gets over 1.0, do a water change to get it down. The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom - a good thing. Keep us posted. ;)