Where Am I In The Cycling Process? Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by emilyk, Apr 11, 2018.

1. emilyk

emilyk New Member Member

Hi! We have converted our 30 gallon cube into a saltwater tank. It has been set up with live sand and API Quick Start for a few weeks now. I got the API Saltwater test kit today and the levels are as follows:

PH: 8.1
    Ammonia: .50
    Nitrite: slightly above 0 but below .25 ppm
    Nitrate: just below 5.0

I will continue to test until ammonia and nitrite are zero but is there an estimate on how long that will take?

Thank you!

2. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

A few things here, I would quit using chemicals during the cycling process. Very few live up to their claims when it comes to saltwater tanks and they can often hinder the natural cycling process of the live rock (I assume you have live rock or dry rock in the tank, if you do, stop what you are doing right now and get some as that is the biological filter needed for a healthy saltwater tank?). Second, API tends to be the go to for Freshwater (because there aren't a ton of comprehensive kits for freshwater), but in Saltwater there are so many better options that will serve you better in the long run. This video gives a breakdown of why test kits like Red Sea, Salifert, etc. are better options:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well Known Member Member

For now your API will be fine. It’s a good starter kit but their nitrate test is not as accurate as some others but it will get you cycled just fine. Your coming along.

The quick start is for starting the cycle with fish in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice