When your fish feces turns red...

tuggerlake26

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My SAE won't stop eating poop. This is as crazy as it sounds.

The last couple of days, my SAE has been attacking the undersides of other fish pretty aggressively. I finally realized why. A few days ago, I started feeding my fish extra beefheart flakes from my discus. This has made their poop red. Once they start pooping, my SAE swims up to them and starts eating it. He won't stop, and he keeps pestering them even after it's over.

I will definitely not feed them these flakes anymore. My angelfish seems very traumatized. Has anyone else had this problem before?

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
tuggerlake26 said:
My SAE won't stop eating poop. This is as crazy as it sounds.

The last couple of days, my SAE has been attacking the undersides of other fish pretty aggressively. I finally realized why. A few days ago, I started feeding my fish extra beefheart flakes from my discus. This has made their poop red. Once they start pooping, my SAE swims up to them and starts eating it. He won't stop, and he keeps pestering them even after it's over.

I will definitely not feed them these flakes anymore. My angelfish seems very traumatized. Has anyone else had this problem before?
My angelfish occasionally eat poop but its one of those things where they eat it, spit it up, and try to eat it again until they give up. I can't say I've ever had a fish attack others for poop. Are you sure it wants the fish poop and not to eat their slime coat or being territorial? Maybe try feeding it a little bit more if its resorting to poop.

I don't think the angelfish has the mental ability to be traumatized by the SAE eating poop, if its acting weird, it may be due to bullying from the SAE.

New Threads