When will those plants propagate Question

1. ikkoo Member Member

What length of the leaves or how tall will they start propagating?
    I have java fern and amazon sword, 12 gallon, 7 watt led and 7 watt full spectrum. I also add root tabs and seachem flourish.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. ikkoo Member Member

It's kind of a low tech tank

3. atc84 Well Known Member Member

maybe a picture? It can be hard to tell. I have a sword in my 10 gallon with similar wattage yet it doesn't propagate. java ferns are much easier to propagate, they come off as little plantlets on the leaves. I heard if you cut a small bit off from the tip of the leave, then it'll start reproducing.

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Swords reproduce by sending out a shoot that will grow leaves and roots. Turn into baby swords. But their needs need to be met first. Some never reach that point.

Amazon Swords also get huge.

5. ikkoo Member Member

(I know that this tank is overstocked. But can't return them)

Attached Files:

6. atc84 Well Known Member Member

i really like your tank, it has great colors. I hardly ever tell people their tanks are overstocked, since it's the fishkeepers responsibility. Those plants will help keep the ammonia down for the higher bioload. Are those new plants?

7. ikkoo Member Member

The plants have been in the tank for about a month or slightly longer.

8. atc84 Well Known Member Member

ok, they looked like they were pretty new. And that is dwarf hairgrass in the front? It won't grow very well without Co2 injection and high lighting. anyways if you don't see any algae for a while then if you increase the lighting and add root tabs for the swords then they should grow bigger and maybe reproduce.