When will the dirt go away?

JoeSmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alright so me, being the genius that I am, forgot to wash the fluorite before putting it in my tank... It was going in a bare bottom tank and I have the fish from that tank in a 5 gallon bucket. The water is a dark to medium brown, and I am running 2 packs of active carbon in order to clear things up quickly.

My question is how long will it take to go away and when can I add my fish back in?

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are you doing water changes and vacuuming? I don't know anything particular about fluorite, but I know with un washed gravel and other substrates, you would want to do a lot of gravel vacs and water changes to clear the water up and then use carbon for the remainding stuff.

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
good advice from kupcake

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have flourite black sand in my tank and AFTER spending about a half hour or so rinsing out the sand, I ended up doing several 100% water changes and it was still cloudy for another day or two. You can either take it out and rinse it off or continue doing water changes. Good luck

JoeSmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alright, I'll do that! Lol. I just need to know when its okay for my fish to go back in :/

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think the fish would be ok even if the water is still a little cloudy (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you're able to keep them somewhere else safely for a while, I'd leave them there for the time being. Otherwise, clean it up as best you can and then transfer the fish back over.

JoeSmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alright, thanks! I have the fish in a 5 gallon bucket filled about 3 gallons full right now, the thing I'm worried about is that I have 5 cories and a betta in there lol. I think they sould be okay for a few hours though.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They should be fine to go back in the tank now. Putting filter floss in the filter for a day or over night should clear the water right up. What I call filter floss is really quilt batting or pillow stuffing from walmarts. It's about $3 for a big bag. Just make sure it doesn't have any additives. After about a day or night you can just take it out and throw it away.
carol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads