When will my swordtail recover?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Victreal, Aug 8, 2015.

1. VictrealValued MemberMember

Hi!

I'm new to fishlore and I'm new to owning fish
    So i originally had 5 tetras in a tank with about 20 gallons in it, then yesterday i decided to stock the tank up with 3 new fish. 1 blue tuxedo guppy, 1 bumblebee fish and this poor lyre tail swordtail.

The 3 new fish seemed to get along fine, but it seemed over 1 night the neon tetras ripped up the poor swordtails fin and top tail. it doesnt swim up anymore and is just lurking around the bottom. It still eats if i take mircopellets, wet them, compress them and crush it in front of it.

I was just wondering if it will recover? or if not what should i do? i dont like to see it suffer like this :(

thanks for any help or advice

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    I rotated the pics for you.
    Swordtails could do with a bit more room than a twenty gallon, I'd suggest upgrading if you can, in the meantime
    good clean water will help his fins heal & upping the number of neons you have may help their nippiness as they'll be more inclined to bicker amongst themselves.

3. OP
    OP
    V

VictrealValued MemberMember

Thanks for the advice when you say clean approximately how much ammonia should be in the tank? is 0.1 - 0.2 ppm too much?

4. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Any ammonia is too much, I would suggest doing a water change of at least 50%.
    I'd also test your tap water to make sure that isn't the source of the ammonia.

5. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    What test kit are you using? (if any)

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Greetings and welcome :)

There are some issues you face here.

1. A 20 gallon is too small to properly house a full school of neons. Many people will say that you can get away with 6 in a school. I disagree. I would not have a school smaller than 10, 15 would be better.

2. Swordtails are also a fish that would be better off in a larger tank when they are full grown.

3. Neons are notorious nippers of long fins. You will have to choose between the neons and the swordtail.

4. The bumblebee fish (goby) is a brackish water fish and is a highly territorial fish. Here is some info for you.

5. You have fish that like cooler water (neons) mixed with fish that like their water warmer.

As Coradee said no ammonia is acceptable. Ammonia attacks the gills and is a horrible way to die. High levels kill quickly. Low levels kill slowly dragging the fishes health down making it susceptible to other issues.

Best wishes for you and your fish :;betta2

7. OP
    OP
    V

Thanks for all the replies and useful information
    ive moved the neons to a 10g tank... Do you think I can get more?

the fish store said this bumblebee is a fresh water species but now I'm not too sure
    it swims around happily at the moment but I'll keep an eye out
    are bumblebees fin nippers?

im using a test kit by api

8. OP
    OP
    V

Oops read the post by Thunder_o_b
    how big of the tank should I get to house the tetras

sorry for the load of questions
    I'm new at this and I'm not fully sure what I'm doing

9. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Questions are good :) ask all you need too. The 20 gal will do but is on the low end of acceptable in my view.

As I understand bumblebees just look after their spot and do not actively chase fish around the tank. As long as the other fish learn to respect its space they will be ok. It is the brackish water that concerns me.

10. Anders247

Can you post a pic of this "bumblebee fish" please? It could be several different things. Not necessarily brackish.

11. OP
    OP
    V

Sorry for the slow reply I was working yesterday
    this is the picture of my goby it seems pretty active in the tank sometimes and sometimes doesnt move

do you think i can add a betta to the tank? as in those 2 fish only or is it too much since bumblebees are territorial and bettas are....... bettas lol

ugh my pictures keep appearing upside down :(

IMG_4846.jpg

12. Anders247

I would rehome that fish, it does indeed appear to be a bumblebee goby, which is brackish. And it gets out competed for food easily so isn't a great option for community tanks.
    And bettas are aggressive, you shouldn't mix them with other fish, especially livebearers like guppies and swordtails. Or tetras. What type of tetras are they?

13. OP
    OP
    V

It's a neon tetra there were 5 of them
    But I have now segregated them to a 10 gallon tank

The swordtail isn't looking to good I've had to pump food at it will a pipette

If I rehome the goby how would I make the water brackish
    Would the home have to be big I f it's alone? Will 5 gallons do? Cause that's the only tank I have left sitting around or would that only be a good temporary solution

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. Anders247

Neon tetras need a bigger tank than 10 gallons. The bumblebee will be OK in a 10....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice