When Will My Snail Move? Question

1. Franco

Franco Valued Member Member

Hello All!

I just recently purchased my first snail... it's a tiger nerite. I have acclimated him to the aquarium but have yet to see any movement from him. When should I start worrying that I purchased a deceased snail?

Thanks in advanced!

2. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

Stop staring at him. Your making him feel self conscious lol. If he is in the same spot for 24 hrs, he may be dead.

3. OP
    OP
    Franco

Aha! That's true... I probably wouldn't move much if I was being stared at by some new stranger... haha! I will periodically check on him.

4. Zoomo

Zoomo Valued Member Member

Nerites, for me anyway, never seemed all that interesting. They would sleep forever, not move around too much, etc. I could never tell if they were dead or just resting. Mystery snails, there is no question, they are everywhere and constantly moving.

5. OP
    OP
    Franco

Yeah... I figures I would get a Nerite since they don't get as big. Also, I've heard Nerites are more efficient at eating algae. In the future, I might try a Mystery.

6. Zoomo

Zoomo Valued Member Member

I originally got Nerites to go in my small betta tanks, but I could never find them, or see them out and about. I no longer have any in my betta tanks, it is just the bettas. I had a few that were more active than the rest and I bought some from an eBay dude, sent 1 shipment and they were all either dead or dying so he sent another set and same thing. It was freezing out and they were just in paper towels and I don't think they were packaged well and came 3 day shipment. So, kind of gave up on them. I do not have much algae, and I am not sure why, but I adore the mystery snails. Probably would not go back to nerites, comparing the 2.