When Will My Cycle Finally End?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by brook.lyn, Apr 12, 2017.

1. brook.lyn

brook.lyn Valued Member Member

I have a 10 gallon I've had continuous problems with and it's been like 4 months, and I'm finally where u add ammonia and wait 24 hours but I've been doing this for weeks at 1ppm and nitrite still isn't dropping. Should I just be patient? I don't think it's supposed to take that long. When I dose 1 ppm of ammonia, the next day nitrite will be at about .50 ppm. It has gone down, from 1-2 to now .50 ppm. I add ammonia every other day (since I wait for it to drop again). Am I doing something wrong? Should it take this long? My tank temp is about mid 70's as that's my room temp

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What is your pH? Can you raise the temp to about 84? Increasing the temp encourages bacteria growth.

I would wait til nitrite drops to 0-.25 before dosing again. Adding more ammonia before nitrites are allowed to be processed may stall things a bit. Are you using a bacteria supplement? And can you list your other parameters like ammonia and nitrate?

3. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Sometimes it's the filter.
    I had a HOB filter once that never cycled. The sponge and bio-kibbles just weren't enough or too small or the HOB did not disturb the water surface the proper way to get dissolved oxygen, I don't know why I never cycled, even dosing bacteria daily.

I switched to a big sponge filter with a powerhead and tada...cycled the tank in 4 weeks and 2 days.

4. OP
    OP
    brook.lyn

My pH is roughly 7.6 and my ammonia after 24 hours of dosing is usually a little less than .25. And as u stated, yes I usually wait another 24 hours before I dose again when nitrite is at 0 or .25 , no bacteria supplement. Though I dose ammonia with dr Tims pure ammonia drops. Testing my nitrate now. Also I don't have a heater so sadly I can't really raise the temp.

Edit: nitrate is at around 20

I have a fluval hob filter.. though they're pretty popular and have been used with the pet I'm getting so I wouldn't think that they would stall my cycle in any way

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  5. el337

It's definitely not surprising for cycles to last this long especially if you don't use a bacteria supplement. However, I do think you're close since your ammonia and nitrite are being processed within 48 hours.

You can drop in a tiny pinch of fish food so that it helps the nitrites process it a little more efficiently. And of course, you could always pick up a bottle of TSS+ to finish up.

6. OP
    OP
    brook.lyn

So you're saying if I pick up some TSS that could finish my cycle? I've gotten so impatient with this tank and my poor axolotls are tired of waiting lol

7. el337

Yes, many have had success with it.

8. CHoman

CHoman Valued Member Member

I fishless cycled a 10 gallon using pure ammonia and TSS and it still took a few weeks. I felt like my nitrites were never going to go down and then they did, practically over one night. It feels like eternity, but so worth it when it's all done. You're almost there!!

9. OP
    OP
    brook.lyn

Thank you ! Just texted my mom to pick up some TSS+ from the store

10. OP
    OP
    brook.lyn

Just told my mom to pick some up. Should I add maybe half of a dose since my tanks bb is pretty much established? (By pretty much I mean almost)

11. el337

I'd add the entire well-shaken bottle. You want all the available strains of nitrifying bacteria to do their thing. :)

12. CHoman

CHoman Valued Member Member

I'd recommend adding the whole bottle. Definitely can't hurt :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice