When Will Discus Colour Up?

ross mckinnon
Hey fish friends new to this forum and newly back into keeping fish it's been a while. So I recently bought 6 discus fish witch seem to be doing good eating enough and don't seem stressed at all, although sometimes they do hide in corner of tank all night lol but my question witch I hope some1 can help me with is when will I start to see the potential of there colour as still kinda pale at moment.

Dycofree
Hello and welcome! What size tank is this? Dimensions? What kind of filtration are you running on the tank? RO or Tap water? What are your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate readings? How long has the tank been set up? Sorry for all the question, lol. They will help myself and others help you with your question

ross mckinnon
Hello and welcome! What size tank is this? Dimensions? What kind of filtration are you running on the tank? RO or Tap water? What are your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate readings? How long has the tank been set up? Sorry for all the question, lol. They will help myself and others help you with your question

HI it's 200 litre, fluval 306 tap water the readings are 0 for all of these and I have had the tank set up for about 4 weeks

Dycofree
There are a few issues here. Discus are incredibly delicate fish that require a well established tank and pristine water. They are almost always housed in RO water for this reason. Tap water will usually have ill effects on them over time and lead to shorter lives (not in all cases). Most importantly here, a cycled tank should have a 0 reading in ammonia and nitrite, with a small reading in nitrate. Your tank isn't cycled, which is a major issue here especially for discus.

ross mckinnon
There are a few issues here. Discus are incredibly delicate fish that require a well established tank and pristine water. They are almost always housed in RO water for this reason. Tap water will usually have ill effects on them over time and lead to shorter lives (not in all cases). Most importantly here, a cycled tank should have a 0 reading in ammonia and nitrite, with a small reading in nitrate. Your tank isn't cycled, which is a major issue here especially for discus.

Is there anything u advise that I should do as fish r already in there.

DecoyCat
With what's been said I would advise buying a couple of bottles of Fluval Cycle immediately. It is beneficial bacteria and will help to cycle your tank within a week or two. I have found this product to be the best of its kind and it works faster than seachem stability or API quick start. The treatment goes for 3 days, during that time try not to change out much water so that the bottled BB gets time to work. Best to do a large water change before starting the treatment. If you have more questions please make sure you ask, we are always able to help!

Dycofree
Is there anything u advise that I should do as fish r already in there.
As the other user suggested, you need to introduce Beneficial Bacteria. Ive always used Tetra Safe Start with great success. A large water changed prior to starting this is recommended. In the meantime, I would be doing daily water changes to ensure there is as little ammonia as possible, otherwise the fish will suffocate. I hope you didnt pay an arm and a leg as discus are rarely cheap. I'm surprised the only sympots they are displaying are discoloraion and not anything more severe

ross mckinnon
As the other user suggested, you need to introduce Beneficial Bacteria. Ive always used Tetra Safe Start with great success. A large water changed prior to starting this is recommended. In the meantime, I would be doing daily water changes to ensure there is as little ammonia as possible, otherwise the fish will suffocate. I hope you didnt pay an arm and a leg as discus are rarely cheap. I'm surprised the only sympots they are displaying are discoloraion and not anything more severe

I don't think I explained correctly as first lol I did use a product to introduce beneficial bacteria as advised by guy in fish shop. I'm getting 0 readings of ammonia

DecoyCat
If you did use a bottle of BB then it didn't work or you would be getting Nitrate readings. Are you using the API master test kit? If so can you please tell us the PH readings also..
The ideal readings would be a PH of around 6.6 to 7.2, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 5.0 to 20 Nitrate...
It would still be in your fishes best interests to buy a bottle of Fluval Cycle at this stage imo.

ross mckinnon
If you did use a bottle of BB then it didn't work or you would be getting Nitrate readings. Are you using the API master test kit? If so can you please tell us the PH readings also..
The ideal readings would be a PH of around 6.6 to 7.2, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 5.0 to 20 Nitrate...
It would still be in your fishes best interests to buy a bottle of Fluval Cycle at this stage imo.

Ph is only 6.0 I'll definitely buy a bottle today then thanks very much for your advise

DecoyCat
Your PH is good for Discus, mine is at 6.8 at the moment. I'm glad you will try some more bottled BB to help your cycle. Follow the instructions carefully on the bottle, try not to swap out to much water while you are under treatment with the bottled BB. If using fluval cycle, you should see Nitrates in 3-4 days, then about 25-30% water changes after that until your ammonia and nitrite read zero or that they stay at zero. Please keep us informed on your progress in the coming days and your very welcome

Disc61

to the OP
I just want to clarify things a little bit here. so that newbies completely understand that Discus aren't near as tough as they once was.
although Discus thrive in a WELL established tank, many, many Discus Keeper (including myself) grow out juvies (2.5 - 4 inches, which are the most delicate) by doing Large daily water changes ( like 80% or bigger) for the first year. in no way would I consider that kinda tank well established. PRESTINE, yes...

And unless Discus are being breeded, they almost never are housed in RO water, this is such a myth.
for instance the Stendker Discus imported by Hans is breeded and raised in nothing but tap water.

with that said, if you have added BB already, daily water changes (I know, it's my go to) of at least 50% should keep things in tap.

your initial question of coloring should continue to get better with the daily water changes. and should also help in them hiding in the corner.
a healthy Happy Discus will not hide..

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DiscoDiscusDallas
Replies
Views
lucy.hotdog
  • Question
Replies
Views
DizzyFish77