Question When / What can I add?!

turnonthebrightlights

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all

I'm new to this fish keeping game, and have a couple of quick questions...

I have a 23l Fluval edge that I bought at the beginning of March this year. My Nitrite & Ammonia Levels are 0, PH of about 7.1ish and Nitrate seems to fluctuate regularly between 0 and 10. I currently have 4 assorted male Platys in the tank, who seem to be loving it in there, and are really lively.

My question is, when would be a good time to add some more fish (I am only looking at adding 2 more species - one a plec in a month or so, and 2-3 of something else)? What would be my best bet? Are Guppies / Endlers hardy, and will they get on with the Platys? I don't want the fish to breed, as there's not enough room, so am looking for all males preferably.

Cheers

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FL!

Unfortunately, I'd say your tank is over maximum capacity already. When your platies reach adult size, it's going to be hard to keep water quality up with all that bioload.

I would not suggest adding anything else unless you return some of the fish you have. Also, there is no species of pleco that is suitable for a 23L tank.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
Looks to me like you're pretty well stocked, actually over stocked. Platys can grow to be 2 inches or so and would do better in a 10g.

I wouldn't recommend adding anything. Maybe a couple of shrimp since they don't carry much of a bio load.

turnonthebrightlights

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi

Thanks guys.

Kinda wish the shop had told me that when I bought them!

I was actually also thinking about shrimp. would a few be ok? if so, what type?

To be honest, if it is a choice between adding different species at the expense of what I have already, I'll stick with the Platys... I love those guys!

Thanks

Greg

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ghost or cherry shrimp (not both) might work. However, they also might be food for the fish if they don't have a lot of places to hide.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm getting some cherry shrimp, and they clean up as much mess as they make, so technically do not contribute to the bioload. You can have loads per gallon, but in my 16 Gal. I'm getting between 10 & 15 as they do stay small, and I don't want it overrun with the guys!

I ordered some java moss off ebay for them to hide in my shipwreck decor (If I don't add the moss, my cories would get in to their "safe place" for moulting, breeding, whatever). It gives them a place to hide and feel safe!

turnonthebrightlights

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would the shrimp not be frightened off by the Platy? I'd only get a few shrimp if I decided to get them, but don't want them living in constant fear!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You have to give them lots of places to hide. And some may get eaten by the fish - I would be fine with that, but I don't know how you feel about it.

turnonthebrightlights

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll know when it happens I guess!! I have a deep sea divers helmet in there (fiancee's idea, not mine!) a fake log-type-thing which is hollowed, and some stones, where they can get in the cracks. I don't have live plants though. Would that be an issue, or will the leftover flakes on the ground and their own food be sufficient?

turnonthebrightlights

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Meenu. I've added a couple of pictures to the gallery of the tank. Do you think I could get some shrimp in there, or do you think the set-up isn't right?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you could get shrimp. You're overstocked with fish, but shrimp are really low bioload. And I can't tell for sure, but it seems like they'll be able to hide in the rocks. Are you thinking ghost or the red cherry kind?

Oh, and I think the tank looks great.

turnonthebrightlights

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think ghost.... Not sure yet though. Which are the more hardy? Or are they similar with regards to how easy they are looked after?

Thanks! Wasn't too sure about the divers helmet to be honest, but it's growing on me! And the Platys love it!
x

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When you described the diver's helmet, I wasn't sure about it either... but I like it.

I don't know enough about the types of shrimp to answer your questions, but I think that they are about the same ease. RCS are more expensive, at least in my area.

turnonthebrightlights

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think it's a grower!! All my friends are the same.. They ridiculed me when I said I'd bought one and spent about £15 on it, but when they see it, they sheepishly admit they like it!!

Ok, thanks for your help Meenu. I'll have a look around my local aquatic shops at the weekend

Greg

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not sure how the genetic stock is in the UK but ghost shrimp here aren't too hardy it seems. A lot of people use them as food for bigger fish so I guess breeders don't care too much about their hardiness. Red cherry shrimp are great, though.

-Lisa

turnonthebrightlights

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Lisa. To be honest, Red are nicer to look at, so I'll try and find ones that sell them! My only worry is that the minute I put them in the tank, they'll get attacked by the Platys! Although I don't think they'll pester them too much.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom