When to upgrade tank?

balasharkcolumbianshark13

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I personally have a columbian shark and 3 bala sharks. I just got them so they are still baby's. They are in a 5 gallon tank. When should I take them out and put them in a larger tank. Also what are good snacks for my columbian?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to FishLore!!

Your question has been moved to a thread of it's own. You'll get more responses that way.

I don't know much about sharks, but 5 gallon's isn't big enough for them. It would be a good idea to upgrade them now.

I'll let others comment on tank size and compatibility.

Good luck!

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to fishlore!

The columbian shark can reach a length of 20 inches or more and is an active fish. It is also a brackish fish that will need a full saltwater tank in time (meaning even if you had a large enough tank you couldn't keep this fish with balas as the bala fish is freshwater).

The Bala fish can reach up to over a foot long in length and needs plenty of horizontal space to swim. For just one bala alone you would need at least a 55 gallon tank (and even that is not reccomended).

Both of these fish get huge and would not be okay together in the same tank. I reccomend you either return the fish or start setting up two very large tanks to accomadate them. A 5 gallon tank is WAY too small for either of these fish and if you were to upgrade you would need to do it right away.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask as Fishlore members are always happy to give advice and help out other members.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WOW! You have taken on a huge challenge. Do you have the space, time and money for the tank size you are going to need? If not, I'd be swapping them pretty quickly and getting more managable fish.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FL!

I agree with the others, an upgrade is needed quickly. If you're not able to get a massive tank or a pond for these fish, I would suggest looking around at places like Tractor Supply Co. for a several hundred gallon Rubbermaid stock tub.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads