When to take out of QT and add to main tank?

1. nexigen

nexigen Valued Member Member

3-4 weeks ago I bought 3 Ottos and put them in a Quarantine Tank for observation. I wanted to make sure they're healthy before adding them to my algae-overrun main tank. I began adjusting temperature in my main tank Monday, preparing for acclimation of the Ottos (cooling it down for them). Yesterday, unfortunately, one of the Ottos died. Not sure why really, but the thread is still in the FW disease forum.

Anyway, two are left. I've been supplementing their diet with Zuchinni the past couple of weeks. There's minimal amounts of algae left in the QT. After yesterday's episode, my girlfriend doesn't want me to add them to the main tank until we're sure again that they're healthy and not going to make our Betta sick. I don't know what "good health" signs I'm looking for. One seems possibly bloated still, or just fat, or maybe just female, I'm still new to this so I don't really know.

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Otos are supposed to have fat bellies. That means they're eating well. It's not unusual to lose one this early in the game. They are that sensitive.

How long has the betta tank been up and running? Otos demand rock steady water parameters.

3. apple429

apple429 Well Known Member Member

Well I don't QT, I don't have enough tanks yet (in my opinion), but I would say to quarantine them for another month or so. Just simply because once disease starts in your main tank, it can be a pain to get rid of... that's just my input. And besides it's not like your car sitting in your garage and you want to go for a drive in it, so you go.
    These are fish, living creatures, so if you be patient, and you generally have more success in this hobby!

Hope this helps!

4. OP
    OP
    nexigen

Main has been up for 3-4 months, was fully cycled as well. I used the substrate from one that was running since December. Tons of algae in it too - need my cleaning crew! :D

I don't want to risk hurting my Betta though. I'm concerned this might've been parasites or something contagious, not sure what to look for exactly. Water parameters in the QT are well established also. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10-15ppm nitrate. Could stand changing out some water but it's well within safe range. The plants are about established in the QT as well.

5. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

I read that many/most otos are wild-caught (is that true? Confirm?), and that depending on how traumatic the capture was etc. that a lot of them do not adjust well to life in a tank, but that once one has survived for about a month then chances are higher that it will survive longer as well. I decided to get a bristlenose pleco instead because otos sounded more risky for a beginner like me. Good luck with yours!

6. apple429

apple429 Well Known Member Member

7. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I would go ahead and put them in the main tank, acclimating them slowly and doing a 50% water change in that tank to bring the nitrates down. Your first oto probably died because of lack of natural food. Many don't adjust to supplement food at all and die of starvation when the algae is gone. It's important to get your remaining two back to a good supply of algae. What size tank are they going into?

8. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

When I got my otos, I did not qt them and I only lost one of them. However, keep a close eye on things because I tried otos with my betta and he bullied them into one corner and wouldn't let them leave and I eventually had to remove him. I also run my tank lights longer to help keep some algae growing in my tank because they clean it very quickly.

9. OP
    OP
    nexigen

I looked at that chart, and as I thought about it more this morning I'm a bit concerned with the gills.

The fish doing the best has a couple shiney spots on his gills, I thought this might be common with the species but I don't know now.
    The fish that died last night was bleeding from the head or gills, I thought perhaps an injury but I don't think he smashed into anything hard enough to cause bleeding. I only noticed it faintly, and saw no injury, it stopped after he dropped to the bottom motionless for a while.

The remaining ones have been keeping their tails curved to the side, I think that's a symptom of something as well. I still think at least one is a bit lethargic for an Otto. The dorsal fin and side fins are almost always tight against the body, except when they're actually eating and their little mouth is going. Often I see the fat one "perched", using it's bottom fins like little feet - I think that's normal though.

Should I treat these symptoms of the remaining two, or let it ride and hope for the best?

10. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't many meds safe for otos, so I would just let it go.. The shiney spots on the gills and the curved tail wouldn't concern me, but others may have a different opinion.