When To Seperate Fry?

1. etkelly22

etkelly22 Valued Member Member

hello, my kribensis cichlids are on their second batch of fry (i separated the first too soon) and i'm wondering when is the right time to seperate them. they hatched about 3 weeks ago and have grown a ton since then. there are about 25 left i've been feeding them crushed flakes and they venture off on their own now. i have already separated the male as he and the female began to get too protective over the fry and fight. i was wondering if i am able to take the mother out now, or if it is still too soon. i don't want her to end up eating them, thanks. pictures will be attached below.

Attached Files:

2. Anicks[Onyx]

Anicks[Onyx] New Member Member

I'm not super experienced with breeding but I think it's ok to separate if they are eating on their own and wandering around without getting eaten or chased.

3. j

jenag145 Valued Member Member

What age did you separate them before?? They look big enough to me.

4. OP
    OP
    etkelly22

I want to say it was just over a week, maybe a week and a half. They were more tadpole-ish, but now they look like actual fish lol.

thanks for the reply, I'm not very experienced either which is why I'm weary.

5. j

If they are eating on their own it's OK to separate them.

6. OP
    OP
    etkelly22

Is there any advantage of keeping the mother in with them?

7. j

Not really. Not once they reach the point of doing things on their own like eating. You may run into the mother eating her young. I've been told that if the dad was in the tank also the mom would or could feel threatened for her young and eat then. Now don't quote me on that part. But I would say either way I don't see anything wrong with keeping mom with them

But since you already separated dad there really shouldn't be much of an issue. Just keep an eye on the babies and mom like you have been

8. OP
    OP
    etkelly22

okay thank you so much! I also think it will be easier to go ahead and leave the fry in the breeding tank rather than trying to scoop them to the other.

9. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

There old enough, I pull the fry [kribs] at around 4 weeks. If you want to breed them again start supplementing some good food like brine shrimp, bloodworms ect. I use mosquito larva, a couple times a week and the fry will greatly benefit from it also. Good luck