When to separate?

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey guys,

Could anyone suggest when to separate betta fry from eachother? Is it based on colour or size or other issues?

Mine are stating to colour up - though many more remain quite small.

Any ideas would be great :)

thanks

A1F5596F-2E3B-4338-B9F2-89F21B19B518.jpeg
AB8EA48C-C371-429C-B36F-74D71B59F738.jpeg
8757A3F0-3C7A-4EB9-8598-5CB14FA082D2.jpeg

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Demeter
Dewclaw83
You’re tagging me like my 4 and a half month old fry aren’t all just chilling in a 29 together with some neons lol

But, as far as I’m aware, you just separate them as need be. If you see one being aggressive, you separate it out. If you identify a male, you separate it out. etc. Personally, I like the idea of them growing up together, I’m hoping it’ll make them more tolerant towards each other and other fish

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
- size, separate groups when the size difference becomes big enough that there is a risk of larger fry consuming the smaller ones.
- behaviour. First you remove the males when they start to harass one another, you don't want damage. Usually the females can stay together but sometimes you'll have to remove some more aggressive females too.
- overcrowding. depending on the size of the tank and number of fry you may want to remove some fry to lessen the burden on the tank when they grow larger, you can split and rehome half, but you can also isolate males early on.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dewclaw83 said:
You’re tagging me like my 4 and a half month old fry aren’t all just chilling in a 29 together with some neons lol
Well you have breed them. How many are in the 29 though?

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Well you have breed them. How many are in the 29 though?
I'm just joking around cause I’m not a great source of info on it - PascalKrypt is the go-to for betta breeding lol

I think there’s somewhere around 12-18 in the 29, along with the 7 neons

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Dewclaw83 said:
I'm just joking around cause I’m not a great source of info on it - PascalKrypt is the go-to for betta breeding lol

I think there’s somewhere around 12-18 in the 29, along with the 7 neons
I wouldn't go quite that far, haha. I'm sure there are members on here with more experience in this department than I do.

>>This<< is a really good, very thorough website where someone covered in very precise detail their experiences and research into betta breeding attempts many years ago. It served me very well and I would recommend anyone to browse through it for tips and tricks, even if it isn't your first time breeding betta.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
PascalKrypt said:
I wouldn't go quite that far, haha. I'm sure there are members on here with more experience in this department than I do.
I would go that far :p You’ve helped me a bunch of times lol

I’ll have to dig through that site when I have some more time! It looks good! (Well, good informationally. Terrible graphically)

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Dewclaw83 said:
I would go that far :p You’ve helped me a bunch of times lol

I’ll have to dig through that site when I have some more time! It looks good! (Well, good informationally. Terrible graphically)
Well in that case you're welcome :) Good to hear the advice had such pleasant results!
(Really stunning yellow on that lad in your avatar btw)

Eh, what shall we say, it was created in the early aughts when website layouts were just plaintext in flashy colours with floating colours all birthed by like 20 lines of code. <align-text>right</align>
I think I once made a custom shop page on one of the early community sites or something back when it somehow allowed for copyrighted jingles to just be ripped straight onto the webpage in the BB code, no questions asked. And back when random visitors would be assaulted by full volume renditions when opening the page in their browsers, no pop-ups or warnings or even a button to turn it off as long as you were viewing the page.
<sound>twister</sound>
was:
for instance.

Muahahaha. Sweet times in the good ol' wild wild west.

New Threads