When To Return A Sick Fish

Ernest Sacco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So for the past few months I've been dealing with a series of dominance disputes in my 150 cichlids tank....I had to rehome my Male green terror to make room for my baby jardini to grow up in the 75....putting him in the 150 he immediately fought and "dethroned" my dominant Male jack Dempsey.....soon after my betta jack dempsey (who has always been larger than the older Male but never attempted a coup) dethroned the green terror and left him tattered and missing scales....cichlids are tough and the old jackdempsey recovered fine without the need for quarantine or medication....but the green terror didn't seem to be recovering and his fins began to show signs of fin rot....I held out for a while hoping he would right himself but yesterday I found him on his side with the spots where his scales had been torn red....

I immediately set up a 10 gallon quarantine and used existing tank water plus aquarium salt.....as of today I have begun antibacterial/ fungal medication and he is already back to swimming....my main question is how long should I keep him separated....it would surely take a month for all his fins to grow back in full and the 10 gallon set up isn't exactly ideal for him as he is now just hovering and looking at me....I am following the medication instructions and have done a 70 percent water change since adding him last night to his hospital tank....just as a side note the main tank doesn't have any issues as all the other fish have no signs of disease and all water parameters are fine

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Call and ask the store - since he was physically beat up, and didn't succumb to an illness originally, they may take him back now. Depends on the store though.

Ernest Sacco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TexasDomer said:
Call and ask the store - since he was physically beat up, and didn't succumb to an illness originally, they may take him back now. Depends on the store though.
I want to keep him and return him to the main 150 when he was better.....since the initial round of fights there have to been any....he just was beat up so bad initially that he was my able to properly recover

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He could easily be picked on again though. If you do add him back, I'd take all the cichlids out, rearrange it, then add them all back, and him at the same time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom