when to restock

1. weljer61 Initiate Member

OK so I had what I believe was ICH, white salt like specks and bumps on my fish. It appeared a little over a week ago. We have lost all of our fish with the exception of 1 tetra (which the specks and bumps disappeared) and our 2 beloved Angel fish (who never had symptoms). I had put a medication in as directed, prior to reading the forums suggestions of treatment with out treatment. I have since had the tank at 88 degrees, doing frequent gravel vacs, and am changing the filter.

So I have 2 questions

Why didnt the Angel fish get it?

When am I safe to restock the tank?

Thank you in advance!

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Some fish are prone to it - tetras included. Some fish are weaker than others and get sick at the first sign of stress, while others can handle more before coming down with it.

I think you're safe to restock once you've corrected the problem that caused the ich outbreak.

3. weljer61 Initiate Member

how do I know what caused the ich outbreak? All my tests were normal and temp was 78. It was noticed several days after I added 2 new fish from petco however they were the last to be seen with the sypmtoms and last to die.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

By normal you mean 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites?

Was it ich that actually killed them (were they covered in it)?

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. ICH is always present in your tank in a dormant stage. It is brought on by stress and sudden temperature changes.

After leaving your temperature raised for two weeks and after several vacuums to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate, and the fish are spot free, you should be safe to add more fish. ( I highly recommend a quarantine tank for new arrivals.)

So sorry to hear that you lost so many!
    Ken

6. weljer61 Initiate Member

Ok yes ammonia 0 Nitrate 0 ph around 7.6, Nitrate 10, tempt 76. Fish were covered with it and they slowly started to die.

I do not have a quarantine tank, I will try to get one. Thank you all for your help.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oh im sorry for the losses :( its sooo hard ! it was probably the 2 new fish you got that started it all ...or the combo if fish you had could have caused stress and the new fish brought the onstart of it in the tank.....
    the higher temps for 2 weeks(even if the spots are gone keep the temps up for the 2 weeks) , consistently, should cure the ich ...i wouldnt start restocking for 3-4 weeks if it were me ..just to be safe...keep a very close eye on the cycle as MOST meds will kill it...and you could have a mini cycle.....good luck