When to propagate marimo?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Novemayune, Jan 9, 2013.

1. NovemayuneValued MemberMember

Is there an agreed upon size of marimo where they do well when propagated? And do I really just rip the darn thing up??

Eta: pics

Attached Files:

2. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Mine looked to be about the size yours is and I cut it in to about 5 pieces - I don't know if there's a right or wrong time but I can say, I did this about 4 months ago and they are doing fine.
    The only thing is, they are not quite round so I imagine that will take awhile.
    and yes, I just basically cut them in to smaller pieces......

3. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

You can propogate them anytime your ready to do it mine is a bit larger than yours is but I plan to wait for it to get to full mass! (About 10" in diameter) and yes you just rip/cut it into however many pieces roll it up and plop it back into the tank :) some people use cotton string to put the marimos into a ball shape after cutting it... but I don't think it matters...

4. NovemayuneValued MemberMember

Wow. That seems too easy to be true, lol. Thanks :)

ETA: how long do they usually take to reach full size?

5. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Forever haha... I think they only grow like 4-5cm a year if i read that right...

6. NovemayuneValued MemberMember

Ack! I guess they do live for like 100 years, so that makes sense. But still. Holy slow-growing plant batman. Junne, how much have yours grown since you propagated them? Maybe I'll just propagate the one and leave one larger. I love those things - they are so awesome looking, lol.

7. JunneFishlore LegendMember

I bought mine from Petsmart in March. The thing just grew almost double of what I had in such a short time! REALLY! I was surprised so I propagated it and now nothing! Although its still green and thriving, they ( the pieces ) have not grown as far as I can tell! I don't know if propagating stunted the growth or not..... Weird!

Junne

8. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice