When to perform first cleaning?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Novemayune, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

I started my 55g on 1 Dec with Colony. I have 6 albino cories, 4 platys (one of which just dropped some fry), 8 neon tetras, 12 ghost shrimp, a mystery snail, two marimo moss balls, 3 medium amazon swords, 1 small anubias, and 1 small java fern (windelov). My water parms: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20 nitrates.

Should I be doing my first partial water change already? When do I need to vacuum for the first time? Sorry, I know this must be redundant, but my quick search didn't return answers for these questions. If I missed it, will you kindly post a link to the other thread? TIA!

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Do you have water tests? API freshwater tests are best. Other than weekly partial water changes and substrate vacuums if you have ammonia or Nitrites then your tank isn't cycled and needs a water change.
    Carol

3. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

How was your tank and/or filter cycled? Or how long has the tank and/or filter been set up?

4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Did you test with a liquid kit or the strips?
    I would wait at least another 4 days, personally.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

6. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Hmm, this Colony thing looks promising, doesn't it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice