When to introduce Amanos to Congo Tetra Tank?

mossman

I have a group of 12 Amano shrimp that range in size from 5/8" to an inch and am wondering when I can introduce them into my 20 gallon planted tank with three Congo Tetra. The Congos are pretty aggressive and I don't want the Amanos to become snacks. Last fish I introduced into this particular tank was a SAE and they chased him relentlessly for several hours. He is fine now. Should the Amanos be fine as long as there is plenty of plant cover? I'm sure the Congos would easily be able to gobble one up even with ample plant cover though.

tjander

If your fish are that aggressive I would think twice about adding them. Even if they don’t eat them they will harass them which could lead to them during.

mossman

tjander said:
If your fish are that aggressive I would think twice about adding them. Even if they don’t eat them they will harass them which could lead to them during.
Well, I bought them for specifically for that tank, so I guess I need to figure out what to do with the Congos. I could maybe put them in the 30 gallon with the Glofish, Neon Tetra, Bolivian Ram, and Corydoras. Not sure if the stocking would be too high though. Even if it weren't, the Congos are voracious eaters and would gobble up all the food before the others could get any. I'd especially be worried about the Bolivian Ram getting starved out. Maybe I could move the Ram to the planted 20 gallon tank and get one or two more Rams for that tank and add the shrimp (if you think the Rams would leave the shrimp alone). Then the 30 gallon would home the Congo Tetra, Glofish, Glowlights, and Corydoras. Would the following work out?

30 gallon (moderately planted):
(3) Congo Tetra
(3) Glofish
(3) Glowlight Tetra
(3) Bronze Corydora

20 gallon (heavily planted):
(2) Bolivian Rams (purchase one additional)
(10) Cardinal Tetra or Cherry Barbs (not yet purchased)
(12) Amano Shrimp

Do I need to be concerned with the new Ram getting along with the existing one? The existing one is over a year old and the new one will likely be much younger and smaller. And do I need to get the opposite sex to ensure they get along? Looks like I have a female.

CichlidFreak7000

Rams aren't the fighting type in comparison to other cichlids their size. Very rarely will they fight to the death. The most you'll see with the new one(s) is territorial bickering. Unless you have two males, you will probably see very little fighting. The males would be highly territorial towards each other, but depending on the specific fish they might kill each other. If its a male/female pair, there is a chance they will pair up, but there is no fry guaranteed.

However, they may be the ones to eat smaller shrimp. Depending on the exact size, hunger, and disposition of your rams, they may disappear fairly rapidly.

mossman

****, okay. Guess I'll hold off on moving the Ram for now then. I'll have to do some night feeding so the Congos don't steal all the food. I have six in a quarantine tank with 10 Redheads last year and they starved out four of them because they gobble up all the food before it can even reach the middle of the tank!

mossman

What about the SAE? Do you think he'll leave the Amanos alone?

mossman

I'm just finding out that baby angels likely cannot be reintroduced into the tank with the parents because they will not be accepted. If that is true, I'm not sure where I am going to put them. Unless I can keep them in the same tank as the angels permanently. Will the angels eat the shrimp once they grow larger or will they get along with each other if they are raised together?

tjander

If a shrimp can fit in the mouth of a fish it will most likely be eaten. Sounds like you need an additional tank you have too many different types of fish and adding shrimp only makes matters worse IMO.

mossman

I already have three and that's two too many. I'll figure something out.

tjander

Good luck to you

Latest threads

Top Bottom