When to euthanize old betta? Please help - what is your opinion?

Yass

Hello everyone.
I'm in a bit of a sad funk. I have a betta, Aubi who I have had since February 2018 and his old age is showing he looks really bad. He is a dumbo betta and has struggled with fin rot in the past that I have treated, but the last time he got it I was trying different ways to treat him for 6 months and it would not get better. At one point I realized he was not going to get better so I stopped medicating him because I didn't want to stress him out for no reason.

That was about a month or two ago. Now he has developed what I am guessing is tumors over the back of his body, and his fins are decaying (pictured). I do not want him to be in pain, and would rather euthanize him humanly (clove oil) if he is suffering. But I can't tell. He still has a big appetite and always eats all his food, he doesn't swim much but sleep all over the tank, in the plants, on the sand, against the wall. (He is in a 5 gallon fluvial spec with the water level low for ease of reaching the surface. I'm keeping the temp high 78-80 and adding IAL with 50% water changes weekly.)

What is your opinion? With such a old fish I know he is sick but I also feel treating with medications will be more stressful and will not work regardless. But I do not want to be selfish and euthanize him just because he looks so depressing when he might still have a couple months ahead of him. My last stressor is that I am moving out of the state in 5 days and I can't bring him so he will stay and be cared for by my family.

Attachments

• Aubi Flash.png
    Aubi Flash.png
    946.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Aubi no flash.png
    Aubi no flash.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 102

ValkyrieLips

That's not a tumor that is pretty bad body rot. It's up to you to make that choice to euthanize if you think he is suffering and in pain. Research is still 50/50 whether or not fish feel pain because it's hard to prove, but I believe they do feel pain just perhaps not the same as other animals.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Take this for what it's worth, but if he's suffering much I wouldn't think he'd still have a good appetite. With that being said, if you decide to euthanize him soon I certainly won't judge you for it.

Upvote 0

Debbie1986

Do what your heart says

I've done both, but it never gets easier loosing a fishie friend.

He's lived a long time and was a good pet. if you do euthanize, don't 2nd guess it. Quality of life ia something to consider in such times. Best regards

Upvote 0

plantgirl04

No expert but that looks like a serious case of body rot. You could treat him with more medications, but euthanization may be more humane. It appears his backside has rotted away. :( very sorry you are in this predicament.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
  • Question
Replies
Views
skywalking
  • Question
Replies
Views