Question When To Change Filter Sponge

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how often a filter sponge should be changed. I’ve heard about a year but wanted to make sure. It’s a 10 gallon with a single Betta in it. Also have a pre filter sponge on the intake tube and was wondering how long I should wait after replacing the main sponge to replace the pre filter sponge or if I can change them both at the same time?

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You don't really need to change the filter sponge at all. Certainly it should be good for many years. Just squeeze it out in a bucket of tank water every so often to remove any build up of waste. As most the filter bacteria are held in the filter media changing it will result in the need to re cycle the filter. If your pre filter sponge gets blocked give it a good clean in hot water ( don't do this with your media sponge as it will kill the bacteria ). If you feel the need to change you filter sponge only change half at a time if you can otherwise you will have to do your cycle all over again. If your filter only has one sponge it's best not to change it at all. I always clean my pre filter sponge every water change.

DoraCory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just rinse them out in a bucket of tank water when you do a water change and then maybe replace (but not at the same time) when they look like they're falling apart.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as your sponges come back to their original shape after squeezing to clean in some water removed from the tank or fresh dechlorinated water there is no need to replace them. They really should last for a very very long time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom