When to change biocube carbon filter?

excitedforfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone!

So I saw this really cool DIY video on youtube showing how one could replace the filter in the stock biocube yourself. It turns out to be much cheaper and I could afford to change it more often.

Here is a link if anyone is curious:

My question is I bought this carbon at petco and some blue filter floss stuff as well - will it be okay and safe to use? It says it is saltwater safe.

Also, how often should I change it? I know carbon stops working after a while, so I dont know when I should replace it with more.

Furthermore, it says to rinse the carbon before placing it in the water. These pieces are a little larger and I am concerned it might mess up my water. I have a 14g biocube so any advice would be appreciated!!!

EDIT:

I figured I'd also ask about instant ocean's reef accelerator. I was wondering how often should I add this to my tank? I only plan on keeping soft corals, LPS, mushrooms/zoanthids. This product states it promotes coraline algae growth as well. I am excited to use it and 10 mL should be plenty for my 14g tank, but how often should I add it to the water?

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
carbon need to be replaced every 3-4 weeks, size/brand doesn't really matter.
rinse the carbon to get all the dust out(don't rub the pieces together too much or you will be rinsing down black stuff forever..trust me) filter floss that is safe for Saltwater is safe for Freshwater,but not always Freshwater is safe for Saltwater

if you don't rinse the carbon you get a buncha black dust in your tank, and it turns the water black, and im not sure about the affects on fish, and would hate to find out..

excitedforfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you. I will rinse it out and keep and eye on it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads