When to add shrimp

Koenig44

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So, this thread is closed, and my situation is somewhat similar.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/when-to-add-shrimps.432482/

My tank has been running for 1.5 months. I have fish, and quite a few plants. I don't have any Biofilm, as I run a Koralia to keep the surface agitated.

I do have some algae on top of my Terra Cotta Pot, and a little on the glass.

Am I in the clear to add shrimp? I only want one, as I don't want to breed.

Weekly water parameters are 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 20 Nitrates

PaprikaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shrimp are social and like to be kept in groups. If you don't want them to breed, you can keep Amano shrimp, which need brackish water for their eggs to hatch successfully.
As to when to add the shrimp: I've read that if you disturb the water (by sloshing it with your finger or blowing into it with a baster or straw) and bubbles form for more than a few seconds, then you have biofilm. If this happens to you, then I'd say go for it and add shrimp.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You cannot have no biofilm a Koralia only moves the water biofilm comes as a result of free swimming bacteria attaches to surfaces as you filter seeds and your water water changes bringing with it bacteria,
6 weeks can be early to add shrimp its all down to how stable your parameters are

OP
Koenig44

Koenig44

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PaprikaFish said:
Shrimp are social and like to be kept in groups. If you don't want them to breed, you can keep Amano shrimp, which need brackish water for their eggs to hatch successfully.
As to when to add the shrimp: I've read that if you disturb the water (by sloshing it with your finger or blowing into it with a baster or straw) and bubbles form for more than a few seconds, then you have biofilm. If this happens to you, then I'd say go for it and add shrimp.
Ok; but will one shrimp be able to thrive in a tank, if I go this route? I really want to get a Blue Velvet for my 10g.

If it really does affect it, to have more than I'll pass. But, ideally I just want one.

PaprikaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A shrimp can live alone, although it will be shy and you'll likely notice that it hides constantly. If you truly want a happy shrimp, then a colony will be much better for it. :emoji_thumbsup:
One thing you have to watch for is that you may bring home a berried female, in which case she'll give birth and you'll have a LOT of baby shrimpies :) Males are smaller and they don't have a saddle. You should definitely look up pictures so you can distinguish between the two :p

Edit: Just wanted to add that you can ask your LFS if you can return/give back shrimplets, in which case you could return any extra shrimp.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom