When To Add Salt

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If I'm treating for any type of disease (adding API Gen Cure)

Should I also be adding salt?
If youre using medication, follow whatever it ways on the bottle.

I usually dont add any salt unless the fish in that tank prefer it (ie guppies, puffers, etc) or i am treating for a certain disease (ie ich).

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
30 to 50 years ago, salt was the only readily available medication and therefore salt was the way to go. However, nowadays this can greatly harm your fish. It is a myth that salt is the cure all first line of defense for everything. many fish have a very low tolerbility to salt and it greatly decreases their immune systems. I also want to point out that there is a difference between salt dips and baths. While many use these terms interchangably, it's still wrong and can be confusing. Maybe you could help me by telling me what type of fish you actually have.

TombedOrchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
30 to 50 years ago, salt was the only readily available medication and therefore salt was the way to go. However, nowadays this can greatly harm your fish. It is a myth that salt is the cure all first line of defense for everything. many fish have a very low tolerbility to salt and it greatly decreases their immune systems. I also want to point out that there is a difference between salt dips and baths. While many use these terms interchangably, it's still wrong and can be confusing. Maybe you could help me by telling me what type of fish you actually have.
I have guppies, platties, mollies, tetras, 1 pleco, and snails.

2 / 3 of my platties appear to have a whiteish film around their heads... one of them is flashing random decorations. So, I'm treating for parasites with API Gen Cure.

Many posts have talked about adding salt to assist with diseases... I just wasn't sure of exactly when it's necessary or not.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you're thinking of using salt to help cure certain diseases, I would suggest you do so, as a salt bath and not put in the whole tank. Just a thought.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom