When to add pregnant platy to breeding box?

clk89
3 males 1 female. I know,completely wrong ratio. I plan on replacing 1 or 2 males for females during the weekend. I'm definitely trying to fix that problem. Do you recommend using the divider until then? She'll be in the same tank but the other fish won't be able to get to her side.
Divider would probably be fine. It sounds like the males wanted to mate and she is being harassed, they can be harassed to death. Now your female may still need a day or two to settle after divider being put up.

Advertisement
MaximumRide14
Divider would probably be fine. It sounds like the males wanted to mate and she is being harassed, they can be harassed to death. Now your female may still need a day or two to settle after divider being put up.
Ok. I'm setting the divider up. It has a duct tape side, will that be ok? I'll feed her bloodworms to see if that helps. Should I keep the divider up until I can get another female? Or maybe until Friday? I was planning on making a fry tank, which I will maybe still put together for next month if I get lucky. I will also get more plants.

Advertisement
MaximumRide14
The divider's not working long term. What else do you suggest?

MaximumRide14
Female is still being chased by 2 males. Should I put her in the breeder box? She looked a little panicked when I put her in so I immediately took her out. I have an unused 2.5 gallon that I could set up. How long can she last without a filter? I would need to get that. I also have a little divider that I made out of a binder. Should I use that and isolate her for a while?
Ok. I'm setting the divider up. It has a duct tape side, will that be ok? I'll feed her bloodworms to see if that helps. Should I keep the divider up until I can get another female? Or maybe until Friday? I was planning on making a fry tank, which I will maybe still put together for next month if I get lucky. I will also get more plants.

I just turned the light off. I don't know what else I can do. Hopefully keeping it dark will help for a while. If you have any ideas, please tell me. Thanks for trying to help me out.

MaximumRide14
FishFish221 and clk89 if I had a 2f/2m ratio, and I added some more plants, would that work even though I have 2 males. I could get some hornowort and I'm waiting for some of my plants to grow a little more too.

clk89
FishFish221 and clk89 if I had a 2f/2m ratio, and I added some more plants, would that work even though I have 2 males. I could get some hornowort and I'm waiting for some of my plants to grow a little more too.

The females may still be harassed too much. The males really need two females for each of them. That being said plants will help hide any fry.

Advertisement

MaximumRide14
The females may still be harassed too much. The males really need two females for each of them. That being said plants will help hide any fry.
So really being one off will harass them too much? Do males choose one female or does he go after all of them?

clk89
So really being one off will harass them too much? Do males choose one female or does he go after all of them?

It may depend on the fish. I'm not really a breeder, I just know that most breeders will say to keep the ratio.

Lcarr727
I made 3f, 1m and he divides his time equally between them, but about 24-48 hrs before and 24-48 hrs after one of them gives birth, he is obsessive with just that female. Then he goes back to dividing his time between his ladies

MaximumRide14
I made 3f, 1m and he divides his time equally between them, but about 24-48 hrs before and 24-48 hrs after one of them gives birth, he is obsessive with just that female. Then he goes back to dividing his time between his ladies
That must have been what had happened. I was too late But there's always next month I'm going to try 3 females and 1 male this time. It should work out better and there should be more fry! Thanks for your help!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views
aquabeard
Replies
Views
PAcanis
  • Question
Replies