When To Add Powerhead? Piranha Tank

• Thread starter ScrubLordMike
  • Start date

ScrubLordMike

Hello looking for some advice on if I need a powerhead for my tank right now or not. I have a 120 gallon freshwater tank that come Tuesday will have (10) 3/4 to 1 inch piranha fry, I know I will eventually need a powerhead but I’m concerned if I place one now that it’ll be too much for the little guys and add unneeded stress for them. I’m looking at a Hygger 3200GPH Quiet Aquarium Powerhead but like I said I’m concerned that it’ll be too strong for them when they’re this small but don’t want to buy a smaller one if it’s really not needed while they’re small. Current circulation I have is from my sunsun 304 canister

Nobote

Well Known
Why 3200 gph? That seems really strong.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Pics? I think they are going to get pretty big quick depending on their diet so why not go big and try to buffer it as they grow till they reach a bigger size then you can open the gates and let it flow. No experience with piranha but following and looking forward to seeing how they do! Good Luck!

Sheldon13

Well Known
Can you get a power head with adjustable flow?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Piranhas are river fish and are fully adapted to endure very strong currents. They rest & congregate behind rocks & huge boulders, which break the current.
Build a hardscape that mimics an Amazonian stream. A few tall flat bottom rocks strategically placed should do the trick. Put the power head in while they're small. Not too keen on sticking hands into a Piranha tank. Lol.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
I think it would be best to add while fish are sleeping.
I think that’s a lot of water flow!! I have this on my 125 now in the ex-350 version. Comes with 2 sponges. Bought on eBay for under $20C2DFFCBC-4EC9-45B0-98EA-A86D3748C73B.jpeg

Nobote

Well Known
Personally I would downsize to a 2000 gph model for a 120gal aquarium.

ScrubLordMike

Thanks for the replies everyone! Super helpful decided to go with a less powerful model but it looks everyone is in agreement that adding one now is perfectly fine.

Top Bottom