When To Add Pleco

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Colomark, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Colomark

ColomarkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi. I'm doing a fish-in cycle of our 29 gal tank. it's been 5 weeks and I'm barely starting to see some nitrates. I'm also seeing a fair bit of brown algae in the tank. all along my 4yo has wanted nothing more than an "allergy eater" and I'd like a BN pleco. I'm wondering if this is someting to add during the cycle or if I should really wait. currently we have 4 mollies and 2 platties who are all happily alive. we are treating following seachem's schedule of a dose of prime every other day. started off with the stability doses for 7 days.

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +479
    Experience:
    Just started
    I would just wait until your tank is finished cycling, you do have quite the bio load and more of it during a cycle would not be good. So after the cycle you should be fine to add one.

3. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Agree. Plecos have a larger bio load than other fish of similar size. It's best to wait until your cycle is complete.

As far as brown (diatom algae)
    This is common in a new tank. Diatoms feed of the excess silicates in a new tank. The good thing is it wipes off pretty easily. Just keep wiping it off and eventually it will not come back.

4. OurFirstTimeFishy

OurFirstTimeFishyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +110
    Experience:
    Just started
    Plecos tend to be tougher fish when it comes to disease, plecos are great but are also useless, most of the time they hide in caves and come out at night, you can have some corrie catfish, they have amazing personalities and will swim around the bottom and clean better then a pleco

5. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +331
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would not add any fish in the middle of your cycle, right now you will have a delicate cycle started and establishing. Changing the bioload will change levels. Plus the fish you already have may have begun to adjust to the stress of the water parameters, putting a new fish in there would be a big shock for the new fish.

Once your cycle is complete you can add one no problem :)

6. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +434
    Experience:
    4 years
  7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,704
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What is the ammoniasource used to cycle ?