When To Add Pleco

BriBango

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I have a 55 gallon aquarium. I just finished cycling it and finally got my first group of fish. I have two dwarf gouramis and 2 blue gouramis. And a couple Guppies. I already made another form about that combo.

My boyfriend really wants a pleco, I was thinking either a bristlenose or rubber nose something that doesn't get too big. So my question is when would be a good time to add one to my tank? I know that they're pretty sensitive and you need to add them to an established Aquarium.

Like I said I'm already cycled. I'm planning getting more plants than what I have now. I have pleco food and I would feed them frozen cucumbers and stuff like that. I don't want to add him too soon because there's no algae yet but I also don't want to add him to a dirty aquarium because we don't want him as a janitor even though he does clean. So should I wait till I see some algae growth or wait until I add more fish, or whatever you can help me with would be great thanks

sam mcworthington

Reaction score
If there is absolutely no algae in the tank at all I would personally wait until there is some, as while Pleco's can survive on foods such as algae wafers and vegetables it is recommended for algae to be in their diet, make sure to also have driftwood in the tank as Pleco's love to suck on it.

BriBango

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sam mcworthington said:
If there is absolutely no algae in the tank at all I would personally wait until there is some, as while Pleco's can survive on foods such as algae wafers and vegetables it is recommended for algae to be in their diet, make sure to also have driftwood in the tank as Pleco's love to suck on it.
So wait until there is algae and I'm good to go?

BriBango

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sam mcworthington said:
So wait until there is algae and I'm good to go?

sam mcworthington

Reaction score
am saying that i personally would wait until there is algae, however, they do not depend on it and should do well as long as you feed it the proper foods (Algae wafers, vegetables)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom