When to add plants?

1. Robb85 Initiate Member

Hi, I am new in the hobby.
    I still havent bought anything, in fact, I had an aquarium like a decade ago, when I was 14, and all my fish died, it was a very small tank, and actually at the pet store, they didnt told me of anything of this cycle.

So, as I intend to give it another go, but first i want to read everything possible, in order to have a successful tank this time.

Well, I intend to build up an Amazonian type of tank this time, but I really want to have natural plants in it. I also intend to do the fishless cycle to spare some fish souls and also some money :), but I dont know in which time to plant that plants, hehehehe.

During the ammonia peak, or the nitrite peak, nitrate peak? after the mayor water change? before the fish?

Hehehe, I know, I have lots of questions.

Thanks for reading
    Robb :)

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Robb and Welcome to Fish Lore. Personally I would go ahead and add the plants when you fill the tank. They will help you along with the cycle too. I'm sure you'll get some more responses. A link you may find helpful:
    http://www.aquabotanic.com/plants_and_biological_filtration.htm
    Best wishes and I hope you can share some photos along the way if you have the means!
    Ken

3. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Just want to Welcome you to Fishlore.

WELCOME TO FISHLORE! :;wv

4. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Welcome to our family!! Nice to have you join FishLore.

I agree with the above, it is much easier to add your plants now and driftwood and decorations before the fish.

It is easier to get everything setup and adjusted for decor...including the plants before the fish are added....when your cycle is complete and the fish are added, they will adjust much faster without being in there while you move plants in and around to get that perfect look you want.

5. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

In total agreance with above.Fill your tank half way and add the plants(and decs) then add the rest of the water slowly as not to damage any plants. Once filled with water just run the cycle and your away. Good luck.
    Nick

6. enthusiast Member Member

adding plants as soon as you get water in the tank is good. the plants will help the tank become established

7. Robb85 Initiate Member

Hey, thanks for so many responses!!!

I have a very little question, hehehehe.

Wont the plants get hurt with the ammonia peak?
    Talking about the recommendation of having it around 5 - 6 ppm?

8. James Wisener Initiate Member

Always add plants befote fish , its easier , do it whener you want .

regards.

9. enthusiast Member Member

the ammonia shouldnt hurt the plants, they will help the process along better and faster

10. JennDFK Member Member

The ammonia shouldn't hurt the plants... the only problem you might find is knowing exactly when you are done cycling. Plants use the nitrates and sometimes you will get a 0-0-0 reading in a cycled planted tank.

I always find that my tanks are works in progress. In my 55 gallon I added many plants before stocking... but as I see cool plants I continue to add them.

11. Robb85 Initiate Member

thank you very much guys

I think I will added the plants at the beginning of the cycle
    and add the amonia, and then wait 6 weeks, to assure the cycle is complete

Thank you very much :)

12. click Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

You got great advices above. I started the same way as you did, and opted for natural plants. It will be a bit tricky at the beginning till you get the fertilizing and lightning right, but after that it's free sailing. They offer so many benefits that I don't think I will ever get a tank without natural plants. My fish love them too.

Good luck with your cycle.

Edit: waiting 6 weeks doesn't guarantee your cycle is complete. Better to test your water periodically and keep a journal of your readings. It will help you determine where your cycle is going and when it is completed. The plants will consume some of the Nitrates but not all of them (unless you have a mini jungle growing in the tank :) )

13. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Good to see someone from this side of the world :)
    :;hi1