When To Add Plants while cycling a 50 gallon tank?

alicia_lynn
I'm currently 1 week into a fishless cycle with a 50 gallon tank. My question is whether adding plants while the tank is still cycling will help with the cycle or will it kill the plants? Should I wait for the tank to be established with fish and then add plants? l have gravel substrate and don't currently intend to have a co2 drops so I was going to go for relatively easy plants like Java fern. Water tests are currently yielding results of ammonia: 0.25 nitrite 0 nitrate 5 and pH 8.2 (which I am hoping to be able to bring down to at least 8). Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisement
Tesla
I had my plants in from day 1 of fishless cycle start and it did not make any difference.
You should add some ammonia and up it to around 2ppm for the fishless cycle.

alicia_lynn
I had my plants in from day 1 of fishless cycle start and it did not make any difference.
You should add some ammonia and up it to around 2ppm for the fishless cycle.

Ok, I've been adding fish food every other day but yeah it doesn't seem to be enough to get much ammonia going.

Tesla
Lot of people here like the fish food method, I went the route of Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride which is inexpensive bottle and helped me control ammonia levels bit accurately.

Tesla
You can also add lot more fish food and if the ammonia levels go beyond 4ppm then bring it down to around 2-3 ppm with water changes. It would be a trial and error method with fish food.

TexasDomer
Pure ammonia is easier to work with than fish food, which doesn't break down consistently and you can't control the levels

You can add plants whenever though!

I would leave your pH alone - it's fine for most all aquarium fish (all of my tanks are at 8.2 and I have soft water fish), and a fluctuating pH is more harmful than a stable one.

Advertisement
alicia_lynn
Wraithen
The plants will most likely be fine. Pick low tech low light plants. There's tons of them. I would try to get your ammonia to 2 ppm as well, but will caution that some plants are very unhappy if you get the ammonia much above that. Just realize they will play dead after a week before adjusting to your tank and starting new growth. Also, if you get plants that were grown immersed they will change when growing submerged. Be careful about plants at petco and petsmart. Read the label and ensure they are fully aquatic. The semI aquatic aren't going to work out unless you're doing a hydroponics type setup with them ( which isn't what most people look for.)

Wraithen
The plants will most likely be fine. Pick low tech low light plants. There's tons of them. I would try to get your ammonia to 2 ppm as well, but will caution that some plants are very unhappy if you get the ammonia much above that. Just realize they will play dead after a week before adjusting to your tank and starting new growth. Also, if you get plants that were grown immersed they will change when growing submerged. Be careful about plants at petco and petsmart. Read the label and ensure they are fully aquatic. The semI aquatic aren't going to work out unless you're doing a hydroponics type setup with them ( which isn't what most people look for.)
Eta: once cycled, you will want your nitrates above 10. A lot of people try to keep them as low as possible, but your plants will stop growing if they consume all the nitrates in the tank.

75g Discus Tank
Did you bury the rhizome of the java moss?

It is like a thin bar where all of the roots come out of.

If it’s buried, take the plant out immediately. If you leave it, the plant will die.

You can glue the rhizome to a rock and the roots will root into the rock.

TexasDomer
Discus means rhizome of Java fern, not Java moss

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PBateman
  • Question
Replies
Views
barbiespoodle
Replies
Views