when to add live rock? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by fishaddiction, Dec 20, 2012.

1. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I am getting a 29 gallon tank for the holidays and I was wondering how long I should wait until I add live rock I will add beneficial bacteria from the start. But when am I in the clear to add them I want to do all at once and if I do it to soon I'm afraid it will all die. Thanks keep me posted.,

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Once your tank is filled, up to temperature, and salinity is stable, then add all live rock you intend to have.

With my tank, I filled it, and let it run for a week, measuring salinity and temp everyday. At the end of the week, I purchased my LR. I bought about half of what I ended up using, just to see how it looked and how much more I might want, then got the rest 24 hours later.

Don't forget to drain some of the tank water to allow for the rock displacement ;)

EDIT: You don't specifically need a bacteria additive, which one were you planning on using?

3. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Best to add them the minute you set up the tank and with a 29 I would do 10 lbs of fully cured LR and 20 lbs of base rock(dry LR) and depending on how deep you want your sand bed you can do 20 to 60 lbs of LS.

4. ryanr

I would tend to agree, particularly if you're using natural sea water, where salinity should be spot on.

For me, I was mixing the salt in as I went, and I wasn't in a hurry. I used the week of running as a bit of system/equipment check, making sure everything worked. I figured if I had to empty the tank for any reason, I didn't have anything in there that I'd want to keep. My 'leak test' was done inside, on the first fill (naughty me).

If you leak test your tank first, I see no problem in adding LR as soon as you fill it. Either method, you won't do any harm ;)

Oh, and if you're doing sand, it is worth considering placing the rocks first, then add the sand. That way, if you get sand sifters in your setup, they can't burrow under the rock and cause an avalanche.

5. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

I'm planning on using aqeuon bacteria and as for doing rock before sand good tip. :)

6. ryanr

:D

If you haven't purchased the bacteria, see if you can find Dr Tims One and Only ( ), or Instant Ocean Bio-Spira ( )

They are reported to work quite well... I haven't heard anything about the Aqueon one, so don't know.

7. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Go with either of the ones Ryan listed the Aqueon does not work my friend found out the hard way.

8. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

It has been fine for my freshwater tank but its been set up since April. I will look into better bacteria thanks for the info.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice