When to add Honey Gourami

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by happygolucky, Aug 8, 2015.

1. happygolucky

happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

I began cycling my tank with Sachem Stability and Prime today, and I have 3 mickey mouse platies helping it cycle(I know I shouldn't have, but they are all doing fine). I plan on adding a Honey Gourami as my centerpiece, as I heard they were more peaceful than the Dwarf Gourami(if this is wrong, correct me), but I don't know when I should. I know that it probably wants to set up a territory and dominance over my platies, so should I add it soon? I was thinking within this week, but if that's too soon how about right after the tank finishes cycling? I also want a good bottom feeder corydoras. I was planning on corydoras habrosus, but I don't know how well they would do in slightly higher temperatures(76-78). So any good corydoras I could add to a 20 gallon tank with 3 platies, and a honey gourami?

UPDATE: I was reading up on Sachem Stability, and I read that it was unreliable. So I took some mucky(the part with bacteria) filter floss from my old 5 gallon tank(was gonna use it as a betta tank, but it's in bad shape, so that's a project for later), and placed it under the "BioMax" stuff that goes in an AquaClear, so the old floss is now touching my new carbon bag. Will this help, even just a small amount, with cycling my tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Vulpes

VulpesValued MemberMember

Seachem Stability works for me though.Using filter floss from an old tank will speed up the cycle if the old tank was already cycled.

I'd say to introduce the honey gourami or any other fish to the tank after it has finished cycling.I've read that honey gouramis are quite sensitive to water conditions.Even if they were hardy,i still would add them after cycling the tank.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yep I have no problems with Stability either. Recently cycled 4 tanks in the past two months and a few others in the past with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Is your tank a 20 long or tall? I've had pretty good luck with stability also fwiw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

It's a tall, and I really hope Stability works(if it doesn't, I'm returning my poor fish), otherwise I'll have to fish-less cycle.

6. raif281Valued MemberMember

I would wait till its cycled then add it, im also looking into this fish as a center piece with some Cories and other schooling fish.

7. bettamars

bettamarsValued MemberMember

I don't have much to add about the stability since I haven't used it but I think you are right about honey gouramis being more peaceful than dwarves because I've heard of a dwarf gourami that killed all of his tankmates once he reached sexual maturity. It might depend on the personality of the fish though, but I got a red honey gourami for my 20 tall and I love him!

8. LagiacrusNew MemberMember

My experience with honey gouramis- I had a male which was peaceful at first. He kept to himself but seemed rather shy. I introduced a female to the tank. The male became a bit aggressive and would chase the female out of its territory. It also started rarely, but occasionally chasing my guppies. I returned it and kept the female. She is very docile, gets along with her tank mates, and has not claimed any spot as "her" space. She's an excellent pet and fish.

As bettamars said, wait until your tank is cycled. I wouldn't worry about it having dominance or establishing territory since that seems to be based on the individual fish, but overall they seem to be very peaceful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice