When To Add Fish

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have been having trouble cycling my tank. I did buy prime and have started to add it to my buckets when doing water changes vs changing the water and then adding the water conditioner after. I was using aqueon water conditioner before which worked fine I just wanted prime to help with the ammonAmtil I cycle. Today I am going to get some cycled media from a local breeder. I only have 1 platy and 2 snails in a 20 long. I am worried the bacteria will help me cycle but will also die off if I don't have enough ammonia. When should I add more fish and how many at a time?

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can start with some hardy fish for example Minnows you can get them easy in LPS for $0.11 cents. keep them for about two weeks that should help finishing cycle your tank..

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Zigi Zig said:
You can start with some hardy fish for example Minnows you can get them easy in LPS for $0.11 cents. keep them for about two weeks that should help finishing cycle your tank..
But then what do I do with them after I cycle?

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Photobelle said:
But then what do I do with them after I cycle?
Take them out release them outdoor if you like. or use them as bait for bass like i do.. like i say those guys will start produce waste in water and help you boost your tank.. they only $0.11 cents

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You have plenty of fish/ammonia. Just get the cycled media, and add more fish slowly and your bacteria will be able to catch up just fine. I’d advise against putting feeder fish in your tank, as they often have diseases.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Photobelle said:
I have been having trouble cycling my tank. I did buy prime and have started to add it to my buckets when doing water changes vs changing the water and then adding the water conditioner after. I was using aqueon water conditioner before which worked fine I just wanted prime to help with the ammonAmtil I cycle. Today I am going to get some cycled media from a local breeder. I only have 1 platy and 2 snails in a 20 long. I am worried the bacteria will help me cycle but will also die off if I don't have enough ammonia. When should I add more fish and how many at a time?
I am happy to hear that you are now treating the water before adding it to your tank. This way there is no chance of chlorine killing off your bacteria.

I would add a small school (5 or 6) of hardy fish such as zebra danio at the same time as I added the seeded media. You are correct. If the bacteria on that media isn't fed it will die.

I don't think your one little platy will release enough ammonia in a 20 gallon tank to keep the bacteria alive. If you don't want to keep the danios after the cycle is complete ask if you can return them in a couple of weeks. Personally I love Zebra Danios so of course would just keep them but not everyone wants that much activity in their tanks. They are constantly on the move.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I am happy to hear that you are now treating the water before adding it to your tank. This way there is no chance of chlorine killing off your bacteria.

I would add a small school (5 or 6) of hardy fish such as zebra danio at the same time as I added the seeded media. You are correct. If the bacteria on that media isn't fed it will die.

I don't think your one little platy will release enough ammonia in a 20 gallon tank to keep the bacteria alive. If you don't want to keep the danios after the cycle is complete ask if you can return them in a couple of weeks. Personally I love Zebra Danios so of course would just keep them but not everyone wants that much activity in their tanks. They are constantly on the move.
So I wasn't able to get the cycle media. I am hoping I can get it soon but I did get some stability. So I now have Prime and stability I also got two pieces of driftwood with Anubis planted in them. I am planning on doing a big water change tonight I'm putting the Driftwood in there do I use the prime and stability? I figure I will try it this way just in case I end up not getting the cycled media. I also think this platy may be pregnant so I was going to give it a few weeks before I added any fish just in case I end up with babies then I can just wait until they're big enough and give them away and then stock my tank. I also have another bottle of TSS. Would you do the prime and stability or would you do Prime and then the TSS 24 hours later and and leave it for 2 weeks to cycle with the one platy?

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Please don't release fish you got from the LFS into a pond or stream. That's exactly how invasive species get introduced. Diseases can also be introduced that will destroy habitats. In my state it's even illegal to take an aquatic species from one body of water and put it into another body of water across the street.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Photobelle said:
So I wasn't able to get the cycle media. I am hoping I can get it soon but I did get some stability. So I now have Prime and stability I also got two pieces of driftwood with Anubis planted in them. I am planning on doing a big water change tonight I'm putting the Driftwood in there do I use the prime and stability? I figure I will try it this way just in case I end up not getting the cycled media. I also think this platy may be pregnant so I was going to give it a few weeks before I added any fish just in case I end up with babies then I can just wait until they're big enough and give them away and then stock my tank. I also have another bottle of TSS. Would you do the prime and stability or would you do Prime and then the TSS 24 hours later and and leave it for 2 weeks to cycle with the one platy?
I will have to let someone else answer these questions for you. I've never used any kind of bottled bacteria so at this point you know more about it than I do. I actually don't think you need any of the bottled bacteria with the super low bio-load you have in this tank but others may think otherwise.

Allowing your platy to have her babies and then letting them grow sounds like a good plan. If I were you I wouldn't be stressing so much about getting this tank cycled. With just that one fish in there the bio load is so small weekly water changes should keep her healthy.

If she does in fact have a bunch of babies you may have to do water changes more often but by then this tank could very well have completed its cycle. The bio- load is so small there won't be an over abundance of bacteria but it will grow to accommodate the babies as they grow.

Timboneio

Reaction score
If you want the tank cycled/cleaned, and you have fish, get some ghost/cherry shrimp. A bunch. they improved my water levels by a bunch after one week. They are especially good for plants. I suppose you might have to worry about them being eaten, as a half-grown NEON TETRA ate one of mine half a week in. Remember to get a box and proper food for the fry btw. mom gets very hungry after giving birth...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom