When to add Chaeto

David C
At what point in the cycle should I add the Chaeto to the refugium? I was thinking I should add it as soon as there are detectable levels of nitrates. Am I correct or does it not really matter?

Dave

ATP
Not really sure for an answer with facts supporting it, but I added mine when I first added my CUC.

David C
Thanks ATP, I haven't found any facts to support a timeline for adding it either. I'll probably go with your method.

BTW, I grew up in Seattle, not too far from you

Dave

ATP
David C said:
Thanks ATP, I haven't found any facts to support a timeline for adding it either. I'll probably go with your method.

BTW, I grew up in Seattle, not too far from you

Dave
I lived in Wichita, KS for about 2 years before moving to redmond on summer of 08 lol

David C
LOL, if I had to guess, I would say you probably work for Boeing, based off the locations . I hate Kansas, but I'm stuck here for another few years at least. Wife wants to move to Seattle, she loves it there.

Dave

ATP
David C said:
LOL, if I had to guess, I would say you probably work for Boeing, based off the locations . I hate Kansas, but I'm stuck here for another few years at least. Wife wants to move to Seattle, she loves it there.

Dave
lol. back and fourth.

My family moved there because my brothers was in WSU (only school that was open because they couldn't make up which college to go to and passed all the deadlines-lol). Hate that state as well. You could see the horizon. It's all flatness. I'm still in school so I don't work yet.

Why are you in KS? Seattle area is way nicer looking. There's also no ice storms or over 100 degrees weather

David C
I was in the Army for the better part of a decade and was stationed here at Ft Riley. I met my wife here and so when I got out... we kinda stayed here. When I get out of school and can get a real job, then I hope to move back home and my wife is a HUGE proponent of that idea. I love the Seattle weather, I love rain and overcast along with the mild summers and winters. I'm tired of 30mph winds all winter long bringing wind chills down to -15 and below and I hate the summers with 100+ temps, not to mention the horrid humidity. I never go outside, its either too hot or too cold and only about two weeks each season of decent mild weather. I HATE it here!

Dave

ATP
lol the wind. Before I moved here, I always heard about people saying it's always raining and gloomy, but I don't think its that bad. Didn't even notice it when you live here. Love the forest and mouintains here.

btw, there's a TON of huge nice looking reef tanks in puget sound area. Largest I've seen in person is a 400 gallon reef (I've seen bigger on the local forum, but not in person). There's also a bunch of saltwater only LFS all around the seattle area with nice prices and corals. Also a lot of generous people that gives you a ton of corals for free. So when ever you move here, make sure set ep another reef pay it forward-receve free and pass it on free when it grows.

David C
That's a lot better than around here. We have one person in a local club (still an hour drive) who has an awesome setup, around 3000gal total volume in her fish room and she hooks up noobs, but other than that I have to drive to KC (2 hour drive) to get to some of the nicer shops. I can't wait to be able to have everything at my fingertips

I love the outdoors, I used to hike and mountainbike like a freak, but I stay inside all the time because of the stupid weather here. I agree though, you really don't notice the rain when you live there, it's always a pleasant drizzle, not the downpours and tornado warnings that happen around here.

Dave

ATP
wow. 3000 gallons total volume. LoL-the tornado warnings. I still remember when I first first lived there. I just woke up from a nap and saw its windy outside. So I ran out with a kite and it flew so high. My neighbor called and was shocked. She siad the tornado alarm just went off..... LOL

Naeusu
I have chaeto in my sump

I would wait to add the chaeto until you have around 10-15 PPM....it won't take long for the chaeto to suck it all up (along with your phosphates) but if you place the plant in too soon i'd be worried about it starving to death.

David C
Good point Naeusu. That's been a concern of mine. Glad I'm not the only one who thought of that

Dave

David C
Tornado warning are a huge thing to get used to. Last year we had a twister destroy the town to our east and west in the same storm. It jumped the hill I live on and missed us on both sides by about 10 miles. Give me every day ole rain any day.

Dave

ATP
wow........that's pretty close. I only lived in KS for 3 years so I've never seen an actual tornado hit near me. I've seen it form and it touched down somewhere else though.

David C
It's a sight to behold, and hopefully one I will never see again. I'm hoping I can move from this state in the next two to three years... then all will be right with the world.

Dave

ATP
LoL. get back into the world.

Latest threads

Top Bottom