When the electric goes out . . .

1. brennan2010 Initiate Member

Last winter, when i only had 2 oscars and some other cichlids, the power went out for about 13 hours. It happened to be the coldest day of the year. My house got down to 40 degrees. I moved the oscars into a 10 gallon tank and carried it out to the fireplace to keep it at 65 degrees. Imagine 2 oscars 8 inches each in a 10 gallon! I woke up with them still alive like nothin happened but found 4 dead cichlids in my room that i couldnt move. I was wondering what some people do in these situations cuz its about that time of year again. I know about generators but cant afford one. Lookin for an easy way to keep warmth/airietion.

2. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think you can get battery operated air pumps. for heat, wrap in a blanket (maybe use a space blanket?) to keep the heat in, and get some of those heat packs you shake and they put off heat...

Someone, I think Lucy, did a thread about this recently... let me see if I can find it

edit - lol CHoffman put the link in for you.

4. brennan2010 Initiate Member

Thanks for the help cuz i got 2 piranhas, a jack dempsey, 2 huge oscars and 2 big sun catfish to get through the winter! Lol

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Be sure to check out the link that Choffman posted. Lots of great suggestions included in that thread.
    Ken