When should I start providing algae wafers?

Ebreus

So, this is my tank ~2 days into having Amano. The tank is 50 gallons and there's four shrimp.
Sept. Twentysix 1.jpgSept. Twentysix 3.jpgSept. Twentysix 2.jpg
What I care about isn't them cleaning the tank but being healthy and happy shrimp (would kind of be evil is my priorities were the other way around).
Should I leave them to enjoy the fresh algae growing in the tank while it's plentiful or should I begin providing wafers?

fjh

Honestly you probably wont ever (or very rarely as a treat) have to feed them wafers. Even after they munch on all the algae, there will be plenty of biofilm in a 50g for them so they will never go hungry (even with the snails). Maybe start out giving them half a wafer once a week and if you see them eating it before the guppies consume it all then that'll be a sign you should feed. If they dont show interest, then I'd say they are happy and healthy with what they already have.

Ebreus

fjh said:
Honestly you probably wont ever (or very rarely as a treat) have to feed them wafers. Even after they munch on all the algae, there will be plenty of biofilm in a 50g for them so they will never go hungry (even with the snails). Maybe start out giving them half a wafer once a week and if you see them eating it before the guppies consume it all then that'll be a sign you should feed. If they dont show interest, then I'd say they are happy and healthy with what they already have.
Awesome, thank you.

Top Bottom