When should I release my baby mollies?

Mseraphine

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One of my Black mollies had some fry back on Feb 1st, it's been about 2-1/2 months and the single baby that survived is doing extremely well, about an inch long now... Still not sure if it would be safe to release her to be in the tank with the rest of my fish... Any advice?

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I generally release my livebearer babies once theyre big enough not to get eaten as long as there are no real aggressive fish in the tank. To me the fish listed in your profile look like they should be fine with a 1" molly fry, but unless you havent updated your aquarium profile lately, it doesnt look like your tank is cycled. You shouldnt expose such a young fish to such high ammonia levels, really no fish should be exposed to ammonia at all. Also, the peacock fern listed in your profile is actually not an aquatic plant, it is often sold in tubes claiming to be used in aquariums but it will die and decay in your aquarium after a few months. I would work on getting your tank fully cycled before introducing the little fish. What all have you done to cycle your tank? Have you been doing multiple water changes each week along with prime or amquel+ water conditioner?

Mseraphine

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bassmaster2010 said:
I generally release my livebearer babies once theyre big enough not to get eaten as long as there are no real aggressive fish in the tank. To me the fish listed in your profile look like they should be fine with a 1" molly fry, but unless you havent updated your aquarium profile lately, it doesnt look like your tank is cycled. You shouldnt expose such a young fish to such high ammonia levels, really no fish should be exposed to ammonia at all. Also, the peacock fern listed in your profile is actually not an aquatic plant, it is often sold in tubes claiming to be used in aquariums but it will die and decay in your aquarium after a few months. I would work on getting your tank fully cycled before introducing the little fish. What all have you done to cycle your tank? Have you been doing multiple water changes each week along with prime or amquel+ water conditioner?
I actually had not updated my tank statistics in a long time... the tank is just about perfect now. I haven't added anything that owuld be agressive, got a new cat for the tank but he's still tiny and is unlikely to be agressive anyway. I am definitely thinking about ditching the peacock fern now, hasn't been doing as well as I had hoped. Any suggestions for new live plants?

The baby molly has actually been kept in a breeder net in the tank since day one so I know there won't be any sort of shock from the release other than maybe being chased around by the others. At this point I think I'll probably wait til I have a day off so I can keep an eye on things once I release her.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
good to hear your tank is cycled, just a heads up though, cory cats do much better when theyre kept in groups of 3 or more, they are great fish though. The peacock fern will not grow hardly at all if it is not exposed to the surface because it is not an aquatic plant, it does look good though. Some of the plants sold in tubes are aquatic plants, but were raised out of water so they have non-aquatic leaves when you buy them and the plant will need to grow new leaves and shed the old ones before you see any real growth. I kinda think that makes the tube plants too much of a pain to deal with so I would recommend going with some low light plants sold out of an actual aquarium like anubias, java fern, java moss, or really any other plant you see listed as a "low-light" plant. If you are stuck with buying the plants in the tubes, the only aquatic plants I know of that are sold like that are anubias, wisteria, and the amazon swords. If you see a plant you want to buy like that, I would suggest going home and researching the plant first.

Good idea waiting until you can watch the fry, hopefully all goes well, best of luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom