When Should I Put My Pregnant Guppy Into A Breeder Net?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CatfishGuy, Apr 22, 2018.

1. CatfishGuyWell Known MemberMember

I got her around 2 and a half weeks ago and not even 3 days later she had 2 fry. They both *sadly* suffocated in the breeder net. My mom really likes guppies so I decided to put a male into the tank to try to breed them. The ratio was 1 male to 1 female because my mom didn't want me to buy more females. I got lucky and they were a pair. The females gravid spot has gotten pretty dark since 4/14 and her abdomen has gotten more square. Should I put her into the breeder net now or should I wait for her to be only a few days close to birth?

2. musserump09Well Known MemberMember

Breeder nets are really not good options for a successful breed in my opinion. Its possible but very stressful on the female. I would move the Male in to the breeden net. Let her have the tank to do her thing. Plenty of floating plants. I used fake plants that I just tore off a decor they floated and provided enough cover to allow me in the morning separate the female safely. Hope this helps!

3. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

I agree that breeder nets and boxes are not great options. They are quite stressful for the fish to be in. Try some floating plants (even fake plants you can cut weights off and allow to float) the finer the leaves the better for the fry and then the fry can hide as is their natural instinct and although not all will survive you'll surely up your numbers over time.

4. GuppyDazzleWell Known MemberMember

I agree that breeder nets or boxes are not a good idea. I've tried them a few times, and never had any luck. They do stress the fish, and I've had some pretty messed up after a few days.

I'm trying to understand what you mean when you say the babies suffocated in the breeder net.

I'd agree to put some cover in the tank for the babies and let nature take its course. Some of the babies might get eaten, but what are you going to do with the fry? If you've decided to try to keep all the babies alive, you need to figure out what to do with the 300 new fish you're going to have in the next five or six months.

Your female should drop another brood around 28 days after the last brood she dropped. Once a female is hit, she'll continue to drop fry even if there's not a male present. If you introduced a male, he'll be the father of future broods, but she'll still drop about 28 days apart.

5. CatfishGuyWell Known MemberMember

I would just move the male but I didn't set up the tank just to breed them. Meaning I have other fish in there. 4 baby bn plecos that im raising, 3 longfin zebra danios, and a paradise fish. I was going to move the female into the breeder net until she got all the fry out then I was gonna move her back out to the tank again. Should I find a way to get her into a different tank all by herself? The only tank I can free up is a 2.5 gallon that im raising 1 molly fry in. He/she is about 2 months old. Could I move the molly fry into the breeder net and put the female guppy in there until she gives birth?

6. Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Buy hornwort.

It floats and is a great hider for fry.

I have a clump in several tanks. The big fish hover under it, looking up for a snack.

When I remove the fry, I push the hornwort aside and scoop the fry. Last time, 3 scoops with the net got about 25. The test were left for food.

7. musserump09Well Known MemberMember

Breeder nets are poorly designed. They dont allow much flow of water through making it low in oxygen which I think is the leading problem with stress to death for females and or fry. She will breath very heavily near birth time and so extra oxygen needs to added for aid.

8. qldmickValued MemberMember

they should have plenty of oxygen but its the confined space that stresses females.

9. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

Usually what I do for my guppies is when I see a pregnant guppy I let her have her babies in the tank so that any deformed babies will get eaten soon and the ones with the best survivability will survive and I will capture them then put them in a breeder tank. This way I have less deformities in my tank, but you obviously wouldn't want to do this if you wanted to have more guppies I just find it easier because I don't have 20 babies every 3 months

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice