When Should I Change My Filter Cartridge?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FishyFishy101, Aug 3, 2017.

1. F

FishyFishy101 New Member Member

I have a tetra whisper filter that has a carbon filter cartridge.When should I change it?Ive heard that you should throw it out when it's falling apart.Plus if I do change the filter,will it get rid of the nitrifying bacteria?

2. T

ThaiCaliber Valued Member Member

The beneficial bacteria is all over your tank. It's on your substrate, plants, inside filter, on the carbon pad. You could probably get away with changing it when you need to. Or if you really want a schedule maybe every other week or monthly

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

If your afraid of losing any BB if you throw away the carbon filter you can always put the replacement in to the filter wait a few weeks and trash the old one later.

4. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

See if there is room in the filter to tuck a bit of filter sponge. Once it's been seeded (in about a month) it'll house enough of your bacteria that you can change out the cartage every few months without causing a mini-cycle. If you leave it until it falls apart, you'll have a mess on your hands when you finally change it. A lot of people just completely swap out the cartage for a sponge cut to fit in their filters. Carbon is good to have on hand, but the odds are good you don't need it in there most of the time.

5. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I don't like to use the cartridges that come with the filter. I get one of the large sponges designed for Aquaclear filters and cut to fit. If you must run carbon in your system, you could always place it in a media bag and jam it in with the sponge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice