When one of your Angels eats your Neons

Jhawk117
Hi, lately I’ve been getting more Neons because one of my Angelfish keep eating them! I have seen him do it a few times now. He eats them whole! Poor little Neons, they don’t stand a chance.

Is there a way to prevent him from eating them??

SouthAmericanCichlids
Not really, if you feed them really extra well there is still a good chance he'll still eat them. The only hope is either to give them cover or get rid of one or the other.

Seamus111
Yeah, separate them! Angels CANNOT be housed with just anything. If it fits in their mouth, they are FOOD. Quit buying more or separate into another tank. READ up on what community fish Angels will live with peacefully.

Jhawk117
I don’t really want to get rid of my angel. I’ve had him in the tank for quite a while now. He doesn’t show any aggressive behavior other than he eats my neons

SouthAmericanCichlids
Could you switch your neons to another tank, or give them away?

Jhawk117
Maybe I’ll have to get rid of my angels. I have two in the tank. The other hasn’t shown any sign he’s interested in them

SouthAmericanCichlids
Yeah, if you don't want to get rid of the neons you have to get rid of the angels, but there are plenty of fish who can live with them. Here are some schoolers who can: Lemon tetras, many rainbowfish, silver hatchets, marbled hatchets, skirt tetras (But maybe not as they are known to be nippy), and a ton of others, you just have to look for ones 3+ in. in size or are taller bodied like lemon tetras. And a lot of others can survive with them, schoolers are always the hardest though.

Jhawk117
I like the lemons! Maybe I’ll give those a try and get rid of my neons. I’ve had those for like two years. I am up for trying something new!

What about Cardinals? Are those big enough?

SouthAmericanCichlids
'bout the same size, so probably no.

Jhawk117
Yeah, it’s just odd. He hasn’t shown this kind of behavior before. I’ve never seen him eat them whole like this. I feed him once a day

SouthAmericanCichlids
He's probably just figured out he can eat them recently, and started.

Jhawk117
Yeah, like I just got half a dozen or so from my LFS and even when I was pulling the bag out of the tank, he was trying to nibble at them! I tried to swat him away my net but he still went after them!

SouthAmericanCichlids
If you want some more ideas I'd be happy to list a few more schooling fish.

Jhawk117
Yeah, go for it! I will miss my neons. I love how much color they add to my tank. That’s why I’ve always gotten them!

Lucy
Don't you just hate when your pets eat each other? haha

I've never kept Angels but it's my understanding that neons are a natural food source for Angels in the wild. Could be wrong on that though.

SouthAmericanCichlids
Red phantom, black phantom tetras, rosy tetras, buenos aeres tetras.
Jhawk117 Also many rainbowfish have awesome colors and get pretty big. So I'd also look into them.

JettsPapa
Serpae tetras are also large enough that the angelfish shouldn't eat them. Some people will discourage you from getting them because of a reputation for fin nipping, but if they're kept in a large enough group it shouldn't be a problem. I have 15 in a tank with 9 pearl gouramis, and the tetras ignore the gouramis. I'd suggest getting at least 8.

SouthAmericanCichlids
Top Bottom