When Is My Guppy Going To Give Birth?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Cori Elizabeth, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

I just got her yesterday and she looks squared off and ready to go, she's so big she can't even swim properly. I put her in a breeding box last night to no avail so I put her back into the main tank this morning. Is she bloated as well? The lady I got her from says she always fat. I just want to know when I'd be expecting fry. She's breathing fast, rectum is enlarged, black lines on her under belly, squared off. How long do I have to wait? 09ec02b9fc9aef74d0bf25fbd706e53c.jpg3f491cf079b792b3aacb5d9780407e79.jpg

2. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Mine gave birth yesterday.

She'd already dropped about 20 at this point... (sorry the photo's so dark, didn't want to put lights on and stress her).

Yours could still have around a week to go... although she's big and boxy already.

I would avoid using the breeder box if possible, as it can stress mum and cause her to miscarry. It would be better if you have the box in the tank, then as soon as you see fry, net them into the box to keep them safe for a few days.

3. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Forgot pic, won't let me add on an edit.

Also meant to say: she ended up with 53, so when this pic was took, she was a little under halfway done.

Attached Files:

4. Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

She just seems so big, and usually squaring off means a few days or hours. I got some top and front view pictures as well just to show you how squared off she is:

5. Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

6. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

These new pics look a lot bigger.

When I thought mine was ready to go, she was another three days, so, I'd say any time now for the next few days.

7. Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

I've bred mollies before but none have ever been this big so I'm just freaking out by the size of her

8. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

My guppy was the same. Been watching them drop for a year but never seen a beast like her.

Prepare for tonnes of babies

9. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

She is very close. She is also fat so that can confuse things a bit. I don't use breeder boxes anymore as they stress out momma bad. When you can find a small aquarium and put lots of floating weeds in it. If you are paying attention there won't be many, if any losses. No guarantees but most birthing mothers don't go on a rampage and devour all their young during birthing. The other fish in a community tank are the real danger. They will follow her around and pick many of them off quickly.

10. Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

She's just sitting in a corner now what does this mean?? 3e86dc291d1d08c4ff47d6c71ea6f4d6.jpg

11. Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

Accidentally put the flash on her, but caught her sitting on the bottom for a while. She does this for a few minutes then starts circling at the top. Her breathing is rapid and rectum is still enlarged.

12. Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

I have 20 fish in this tank including mollies, guppies and Platys, how much of a threat would they be?

13. Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

c10c5ef4f2f98ed5935e761f4a6b1b60.jpg
    She's sitting up like this a lot now

14. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

I would say she's getting close. She may be settling in ready for labour.

Keep lights off.

Other fish will eat the fry if they can, but you should still have survivors.

15. Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

I don't have a spare tank ready for her right now so I have her floating in a bigger Tupperware container rather than a breeding box so she has more space, some floating plants and an air stone. Is this an okay solution for tonight? She doesn't seem to be stressed and she's started shaking her body nose down to shake out fry it seems. 1d4130bdacaca3af940e6b2b2625a85a.jpg9500cec8f196e833b6f3bef349645fac.jpg

16. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Perfect.

Hopefully, you'll have fry very soon :)

17. Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

Awesome, with each batch I have (I've only had 3) I seem to get more and more excited and put more and more effort in to saving the fry. The first time they came by surprise and I netted them in the morning, second time I caught my fish in the act and tried putting her in a breeding box but she didn't like it and third time was another surprise. So this time I'm going to try a birthing pool

18. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

A birthing pool in a birthing pool.
    I like it :)

19. Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

No fry this morning. Starting to wonder when this girl will drop

20. Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

[​IMG]

She's just sitting like this

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice