When is it time to separate my new mystery snail from my betta???

BettaMom95

Hello, I wanted to consult more experienced fish keepers on the topic of bettas and tank mates. I have been keeping my betta alone in a 5 gallon planted tank and I just introduced a relatively large albino mystery snail into the tank. When I was finished acclimating him and had placed him on the bottom, my betta seemed more curious than anything. He wasn't flaring but he has tried nipping a couple times, and the snail has just retreated into his shell each time that has happened. When do I know that it's time to take the snail back to the store?? How long does it typically take to be able to make that call? I don't wanna be cruel to the poor snail, help me!!

BigManAquatics

Would be awesome if you had another tank to put the snail in. Nerites usually make a better tankmate for a betta, as they don't have near as long antennae and they tend to present less body for the bettas to go after. In fact, my bettas pretty much ignore them. So maybe you can return the mystery for a nerite.

Upvote 0

BettaMom95

Would be awesome if you had another tank to put the snail in. Nerites usually make a better tankmate for a betta, as they don't have near as long antennae and they tend to present less body for the bettas to go after. In fact, my bettas pretty much ignore them. So maybe you can return the mystery for a nerite.
Thank you that's super helpful.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Thank you that's super helpful.
He may just torment the snail or eventually ignore it. My sister's betta pretty much killed her first mystery snail outright almost immediately.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Squiggle
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
  • Question
Replies
Views
grapebats